Please feel free to contact me to discuss any plots or threads you are interested in.
Salsola members may assume and reference the following without discussion/asking:
On this page... (hide)
Lyra Salcedo is a true-blooded Salsolan, born to shield-maidens Lilia Salcedo, who pledged her sword to the Queendom, and Indra Winters, the sister of the Witch Queen. She was raised alongside her siblings, the accomplished Clementine and their well-liked brother Baltasar at Salsola's Portland Outpost.
Young, terrible, and by all accounts a cold-hearted bitch, a good rule of thumb with Lyra is to never speak to her, because she will use anything and everything you say against you. If not right away, then eventually. By her own admission, she has no friends and no intentions of making any, as she finds that most (if not all) people fall short of her terribly high standards. Despite this, she professes that her agenda within Salsola is to promote the well being of the Kingdom as a whole, and will tolerate her fellow Salsolans to the extent of her abilities (she won't murder you...with her hands. Maybe with her wit, though). The cruel and unyielding demeanor she offers to packmates (coworkers) is manifest tenfold with Outsiders.
She is currently ranked a Arbiter and holds the job of Conserje, keeping tight (if not draconian) order of the Storage Room. Once shadowed by her bumbling and soft-spoken cousin, Casimir Soul, their paths diverged after a fateful attack in the mountains of their home by a hooded stranger. Since then, she has kept her cousin at arm's length, although she did entrust him to look after her home in the Ruins while she returned to Portland to tend to her ailing mother in the late fall of 2021.
Following the death of her mother in the spring of 2022, Lyra Salcedo returned to the Thistle Queendom in search of new meaning.
Not one to mince words, Lyra clearly and concisely expresses what she thinks. Valuing competence and forthrightness over people-pleasing and smoothing tensions, she is both a reliable servant to her Kingdom and a pain in the (royal) ass. It's clear right away that she does not seek approval from others and finds validation only in tangible results, which she often delivers. In this way, she makes herself indispensable to those in power.
Lyra operates on the idea that you don't have to like someone to work with them. For most, there is no question about whether or not she likes you. Her sharp and accurate honesty is a marker of her perceptiveness as much as it is a clever defense mechanism; her integrity is less likely to be called into question this way. Like her sister, who is adept at balancing and shifting others to the right position, Lyra has a knack for manipulation and a love of detail that would land her a job in any law office, if that were a thing.
At her worst, Lyra can be abrasive and intolerant of anything that falls outside of her very high standards, especially when it comes to getting a job done. At her best, she is decisive, tenacious, and efficient. She makes it very clear that you would rather have her as an ally than enemy.
Kept hidden from others is the perhaps her most redemptive quality, which is that Lyra loves her family above all else. She will stretch to her very limits and beyond to ensure their happiness. This is the linchpin of her person, and as such, is carefully guarded.
- Demeanor: Aloof, curt, disinterested in your baggage, competent, self-possessed and self-assured
- Speech: A little on the higher range, though spoken at an even and vaguely menacing cadence. She is fluent in Common (English) and Spanish.
- Scent: Sage, Bergamot
- Outlook: Pragmatic
- Alignment: Lawful Evil
- Likes: law, rules, authority, order, items, objects, trinkets, tchotchkes, baubles, supplies, jewelry, goods,family
- Dislikes: you, disorder, children, strong smells, touching, dancing, small animals that haven't been made into something useful
Lyra is a big fan of Salsola. It has all the bells and whistles: law, wealth, and power.
She does not care for things she cannot predict or control, like loners (Outsiders) or their ilk (other packs).
On the surface, Lyra believes herself to be a loyal servant of the Kingdom: she knows its history, its laws, its culture, and everything in-between (to the extent it can be known publicly), and desires to keep the machine running smoothly and efficiently.
On a deeper level, Lyra believes herself a Steward of the machine: the Law works for her when she so chooses, and thus she has an interest in maintaining and understanding its functions. She won't find herself in rebellion with those of the highest echelons as long as their decisions fall into the order that has been established; she does, however, despise anything that threatens to dismantle the system or create disorder.
The things she fears and despises are one in the same: people she believes are self-serving or self-deluded chaotic agents, who possibly are unaware of their own inadequacy and cannot be reminded of it, people who would further their ill-conceived agendas at the sacrifice of everything their ancestors have built. Without Salsola, there is no power, there is no wealth, no safety, no 'good' life, there is only chaos, and that would be her absolute nightmare.
Lyra is asexual with a heavy dose of misanthropy. In general, she does not care for physical greetings or affection of any kind, and will rebuff attempts made by others, with the exception of her immediate family. She has no interest in progeny and prefers to leave that to her siblings, who have no shortage of suitors. As for companionship, Lyra sees people milling about every day. Why would she want to spend more time with them?
It should be noted that Lyra is still capable of affection (shocking, I know). Her fondness might be recognized as: tolerating a person for longer than she is legally obligated to, saying only the second meanest thing that comes to mind, and if she really loves you, she might walk away before she says anything truly devastating to your psyche.
Note: It should be noted that her asexuality is not a reason for her touch aversion or anti-social traits. Had the course of her childhood and upbringing gone in a different way, she may have been well-socialized, affectionate, and still asexual.
Lyra is partial to good liquor and will imbibe if a drink is offered. She does not pull from her own collection, which she keeps for trading purposes. Lyra knows her limits very well and won't drink until she's drunk — that happened once, and never again.
She took up smoking tobacco at a young age, although in secret. After the death of her mother, she has become something of a chain-smoker openly.
As for other substances, Lyra is open to trying new things, mostly to see if it's worth anything.
As a person firmly rooted in the corporeal world, Lyra has no need for spiritualism. Her interest is purely commercial. She will learn as much as she can about a religion's rituals and icons so that she can better identify, collect, and then trade off its tokens at a profit. While disdainful of the concept as a whole, she does not hesitate to use religion as a manipulative chip, and to that extent respects its power.
- Trade (Medium Level of Experience)
- Accounting (High Level of Experience)
- Tailor (High Level of Experience)
- Language and Literacy
- Horseback Riding
Tall, neat, and well-groomed, there is nothing desultory about Lyra. Everything has its purpose and place, and Lyra carries herself with the confidence of a person who knows both. She possesses a thin fur coat owing to her dog side. Her facial structure is also hound-like, narrow with large expressive eyes, typically expressing disapproval. Tall and lithe, she is not physically imposing but can have a domineering presence due to her height. Her optime hair is platinum in hue and kept cut short in a severe bob. She will sometimes wear it back with pins, barrettes, and tiny braids for practical purposes.
Lording over others wherever she can, Lyra sticks to her optime form and has not returned to her feral forms since she first shifted.
- Lupus: 30 in (76cm) ↔ 70 lbs (31kg)
- Secui: 40 in (102cm) ↔ 120 lbs (54kg)
- Optime: 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) ↔ 150 lbs (68kg)
- Possessing a sizeable wardrobe, Lyra's outfits usually incorporate plush furs, leather, and tasteful feathers. She doesn't do bombastic - her artistic aesthetic tends to be sleek and refined, if not vaguely sinister. More recently, she has pushed her clothing to mimic a martial look with epaulets, metals, scale motifs, and chain or chain-like jewelry. Lyra is never without fine (typically unlined) gloves, which occasionally feature faux claws of varying material (carved bone, painted wood, etc).
Please note that Lyra's color palette and depictions may be artistically exaggerated or feature non-game-compliant material. It's her essence :)
Fur and Optime Hair
Brown Pod (#372618)
Bull Shot (#764B29)
Banana Mania (#FCE0BC)
Royal Heath (#b24a8d)
For the full gallery, click here. Hover for image credit!
- Grandparents: Salvador Salcedo, Emiliana Olmos, Larkkin Star Revlis, Hawthorn
- Uncles & Aunts: Mateo Salcedo, Maribel Salcedo, Rita Salcedo, Laufey Revlis, Morgana Revlis, Jezebel Revlis
- Cousins: Velour Valentine, Tattersall Valentine, Taffetta Valentine, Intarsia Valentine, Grenfell Valentine, Angora Valentine, Tweed Valentine
Lyra's workshop is a small but well appointed space. The former human store was initially cleared and restored by Mirte Haumann as a potential workshop for herself, but favoring her current location, she agreed to trade it to Lyra for a bundle of rare peccary leather 1.
Notable features are that the front window spaces lack glass, and will require wood shutters.
There is an alley out back that has a grassy/concrete yard space.
More description TBD.
Currently, the Associate Elizar Moreno resides in the workshop.
- Lasky RO: help me play this song (06 Apr)
- break them for the better (22 Apr)
- grief in my marrow (23 Apr)
- take a risk, your odds improve (25 Apr)
- take a risk, your odds improve (25 Apr)
- repel the evil forces (25 Apr)
- [M] we know there's a price to pay (08 May)
- the silence that comes back (14 May)
- Lasky: Shake my little soul for you now toy (16 Dec '20)
- NPC: [M]sharks in the rivers (01 Jan '21)
- Lasky: kind that heaven's fixing up for you (21 Feb '21)
- Lyra departs for Fort Preble because her mother has fallen ill.
- teenage talk (29 Mar)
- I don't get mad, I get millions (19 Apr)
- now I stole the moon (20 Apr)
- empty outline changed my view (21 Apr)
- RO: slain medusa, pegasus alight from us all (22 Apr)
- [M] take a deep breath (23 Apr)
- they say bad times are good times (26 Apr)
- RO: everything stays right where you left it (11 May)
- wandering in the shade (16 May)
- training day (16 May)
- throwing pennies in the well (26 May)
- Hmm, yes, how quaint (07 Jun)
- reflectivity to make you shiver (23 Jun)
- prying heroes from an ill-fated coup (24 Jun)
- a happy ending is only relative (26 Jun)
- hunger for the aristocracy (30 Jun)
- Settle in and see (24 Jul)
- So much to do, so much to see (12 Aug)
- a war divides their people (16 Aug)
- we sang dirges in the dark (17 Aug)