Please feel free to contact me to discuss any plots or threads you are interested in.
Players may assume and reference the following without discussion/asking:
On this page... (hide)
Calrian Amaranthe is the roguish Broker of the The Troupe and one of the founding members of the entertainment parlor, La Estrella Roja. His other half is the soulful and beautiful musician Malik, who has been his partner-in-crime since their very first breath, and Lady Luck willing, will be until their very last. The brothers Amaranthe are currently settled with members of The Troupe in old Inferni territory, running the establishment of their dreams.
Calrian was born with the silver tongue of a Revlis and the effortless charm of an Amaranthe; his role as Broker of the Troupe was thus a natural one. He possesses an enterprising spirit, and is always on the lookout for unique and rare objects and opportunities. Calrian has a way of kindly commanding attention, whether to himself or to others, and can keep tensions light and spirits lifted even in the most challenging situations. He loves to take a gamble on new things and experiences - as long as it's new.
Although he is not prone to introspection, his keen observation of others has shaped him into a terribly clever businessman. At his worst, he can be a manipulator of people and self-serving, even if his heart is mostly in the right place. Most of his troubles can be traced to his own curiosity, typically a driving force behind his actions. He does have an impulse for heroics (thanks ma), especially when it comes to pretty ladies, but would rather flee with his prize than stick around and fight with honor. When the conditions call for it, Calrian can be serious, but it takes a lot to get there and even then one can expect him to crack a joke or two. Fearless, reckless, and an incorrigible scamp, he thrives in sticky situations. Much of his wisdom is hard-earned, mostly from digging his way out of his own mischief.
- Demeanor: Friendly, Quick-witted, Clever, Cheerful, Confident
- Speech: Calrian has a pleasant, honeyed voice that's easy to listen to, which is good, because he talks a lot. He is fluent in Common (English) and Spanish.
- Scent: Varied — woodsmoke, forest, nomadic scents (The Troupe)
- Outlook: Never down for long, Calrian is a by-the-books optimist
- Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
- Likes: Malik, Malik's music, his family, spending time with friends, making new friends, trading, well-made objects, juicy drama and gossip, red hair, cuddling
- Dislikes: Conflict, physical confrontations, threats, losing bets, being alone, being bored
He doesn't think anyone is truly bad, simply misguided. He assumes the "norm" in most cases (cisgender, heterosexual, etc) but does not have any preconceived notions about sexuality or gender, and will adopt new conventions of respect for those he encounters who fall outside the dominant trend. Calrian is kind of a basic bro with good intentions.
His biggest motivation is his desire to acquire wealth and be loved. He also wants to take care of his brother and make his mom and pa proud. He's not very complicated in this way.
His fears are not entirely known to him, but they are, you can probably guess, being alone. Most of his plans involve creating a community with compelling reasons for others to stick around.
Calrian is heterosexual. He only experiences romantic feelings after developing a strong emotional connection with someone, but is prone to casual affairs because he can't differentiate between romantic interest and physical attraction. He becomes lonely easily and will accept most kinds of company over nothing.
Calrian won't say no to a drink or a smoke, but he does tend to operate in two modes (Business or Pleasure amirite) and thus may limit himself depending on the situation. Thankfully he did not inherit a certain love for alcohol that runs in his family, but he does like to let loose and enjoy what life has to offer. He is predictably a happy and amorous drunk, and will devolve into a cuddly, affectionate puppy if you give him the chance (please, don't).
Lady Luck is the only superstition Calrian keeps. For those who are deeply religious, he maintains a respectful curiosity and a neutral perspective.
- Persuasion (high experience)
- Trade (high experience)
- Gambling (high experience)
- Language and Literacy
A self-proclaimed devilishly handsome scoundrel. In reality, he is proportionate — if not a little on the lanky side — and well groomed. His expressions can give off the impression that he's up to no good, and his smiles lean a little self-satisfied (maybe he thinks he's cute?) Overall, he does have a keen sense for presentation and doesn't hesitate to flex this skill.
True to his wolf and dog ancestry, Calrian's fur is plush, double-coated, and soft to the touch. In his Optime form, his hair is raven-black and often swept back in a look of breezy nonchalance. His brother helps him keep it short with frequent haircuts.
Calrian grew up in a humanized household and feels most comfortable with clothing, tools, and shelter. His Revlis blood has given him a love of fine things, especially useless but aesthetically pleasing things. As a result, he is typically found in some manner of ostentatious attire. Valuing quality over quantity, Calrian's wardrobe consists of only a few different outfits that he rotates or intermixes depending on the season. He is always looking to add to his small but budding collection.
- Optime: 6 ft 4 in (193 cm) ↔ 195 lbs (88 kg)
- Secui: 40 in (16 cm) ↔ 145 lbs (66 kg)
- Lupus: 31 in (12 cm) ↔ 82 lbs (37 kg)
- Collared leather vest (black)
- 2x tunic (pale blue, white) — torn up, dirty
- 2x fitted trousers (black, grey)
- Wool cloak with embroidery (black)
- Long leather jacket with claw clasps (brown)
- Padded jerkin (black)
- Metal ring (silver)
- Fox fur collar with gold buttons
- 3x leather belts with belt bags
- Linen scarf
- Fur-lined leather gloves
Please note that Calrian's color palette may be artistically exaggerated in his depictions.
Fur and Optime Hair
Silver Rust (#c9c0b6)
Old Copper (#764a3e)
My Sin (#f9bb3c)
For the full gallery, click here. Hover for image credit!
- Grandparents: Thalia Amaranthe, Edgar Lanseer, Sirius Revlis*, Clover Love Lykoi*
- Aunts & Uncles: Akantha, Larkkin Star Revlis*, Lily Storm Revlis*
- Half Aunt: Delfina Heiwa*
- Cousins: Odalis*, Solomon*, Lucian, Lucrezia, Alcuin, Mavros, Bacchus Revlis*, Morgana Revlis*, Jezebel Revlis*, Laufey Revlis*
- First Cousins Once Removed: Marina Amaranthe*, Violeta Rose Soul*, Loki Jade Lykoi*, Clementine Salcedo*, Baltasar Salcedo*, Lyra Salcedo*, Magnus Salcedo*
- Second Cousins: Rhaegar Salcedo*, Casimir Soul*, Nymeria Soul*, Quicksilver Lykoi*, Hel Eternity*, Elektra Trombetta*, Neith Trombetta*, Embla Soul*, Ask Fylgja*
- Niece & Nephews: Rosemary Winsor*, Landon Winsor*, Owen Winsor*
Born to Semini and Lokr Revlis one bright winter morning, Calrian and Malik had an idyllic childhood between the riverlands of Krokar and the forests of Mount Oromocto, where their parents kept a quaint and hidden cabin. Calrian grew up free of the influence of Salsola or his own dark lineage there, but he has heard many stories of his mother's homelands and his older siblings.
In the winter of 2017, Calrian's parents returned to Onuba following the inheritance of Semini's late father's ship. Deciding they had brighter futures elsewhere, Calrian and Malik declined to go with them. Together, they said their farewells to Krokar and left to make a new life for themselves in Portland. While there, they met many interesting characters, who upon realizing each other's talents, formed a group. Things were good for a time, until an incident involving rescuing an old man led to all of them getting the boot from the city.
Following this, the brothers Amaranthe traveled the country roads of Nova Scotia with The Troupe while picking up new faces along the way, and singing, sleeping, and doing (mostly) whatever they want. After a rough winter, they settled in a schoolhouse on old Inferni territory and began to make La Estrella Roja come alive.
- way down we go (Jan)
- build the levees higher (Mar 07)
- fell worse than Niagara falls (Mid-March)
- avert your foolish gaze (Jan)
- Olympic Game :: Swimming (Jun)
- hands up, feel okay (Jun)
- whiskey wallow (Dec)
- linen and smoke (Mar)
- homeless sirens sing (Mar)
- an unkindness of ravens (Mar)
- [M] margaritaville (Mar)
- drop it like it's hot (Mar)
- a circus in three rings (Apr)
- [M] the other side (Apr)
- fools in the fetters (Apr)
- drawn to the blood (May)
- sweet child of mine (May)
- dry toes (May)
- [M] lead you back the way you came (May)
- where I'm going (May)
- the Flavourtown library (Jun)
- as the world caves in (Jul)
- running in circles (Jul)
- take everything i've got (Jul)
- quid pro quo (Aug)
- A deal's a deal (Aug)
- in over your head (Aug)
- the room just down the hall (Sept)
- open-roofed church (Oct)
- Non-Canon: we two have run about the hills and picked the daisies fine (Nov)
- one day becomes a crime (Jan)
- First Steps in New Snow (Jan)
- [M] should have known better (Feb)
- the whole world reduces (Feb)
- soft place to land (July)
- young, scrappy, and hungry (July)
- i love you like an alcoholic (July)
- [M] I feel myself a cog in something turning (Aug)
- Calrian and Malik turn a year old and begin their lives in Portland, doing manual labor at the docks! They live in a barn and have no wealth at all!
- Calrian and Malik work hard and practice their skills.
- Working 5 to 9! You've got passion and a vision / 'Cause it's hustlin' time, a whole new way to make a livin' / Gonna change your life, do somethin' that gives it meanin'
- Calrian and Malik were born, baybee
- Calrian & Malik were but wee babes!
- Calrian and Malik were old enough to say goodbye to their mama and papa and head on over to Portland for greater things!