- Full Name: Rohan Heartsong
- Pronunciation: ro-hahn hart-song
- Meaning: 'little red one'
- Origin: Gaelic
- Date of Birth: 23 May 2021
- Sex: Male
- Luperci: Ortus
- Residence: Starhaven
Shingetsu Trading Company members may assume...
- making small talk with him (innocuous and unlikely to effect anything ICly)
- typically finding him in the New Moon Inn performing or manning the bar
- seeing him at the stables tending to his horses
- that he is willing to help out with odd jobs, even if he's dogwater at physical labor tbh
Patrons of Starhaven may assume...
- having him provide entertainment or a drink to your character at the New Moon Inn
- having him engage in general small talk (unspecific; DM me for anything else, preferably!)
- referencing him having a lovely tenor singing voice and not being too shabby with a lute
Rohan Heartsong is currently a member of the Shingetsu Trading Company, ranked as the Seikan.
Originally born in New Caledonia, he spent most of his childhood there, suffering from a kidnapping and subsequent torture by the religious extremist group, the Tears of Nín. Nevertheless, he and the Realm weathered the storm, but he was not quite the same following this experience. Rohan left with his mother for Caledonia's outpost, the Citadel, where he remained for several months — and was spared from the second assault on New Caledonia, almost a year apart from the first.
Though reunited with the rest of his family, Rohan was uncomfortable and anxious in Portland, having to shoulder much of his mother's deepening depression stemming from the loss of their pack. A glimmer of hope was found in the form of a beautiful young socialite who shared his love of music; but when Rohan, in his naïveté, suggested they abandon their respective family's expectations and run away together, his offer was swiftly (and painfully) rejected.
Heartbroken, this was the final push he needed to formulate a plan to leave the Citadel — for good.
Moon and Sun might rise
behind this curtain of smoke
release your past and guilt
the hope will slow you down
Rohan is very clearly all wolf, both in coloration and build, though he is more on the lean side. His pelt is thick and somewhat coarse, his ears are boxy, and he has a short muzzle. His pelt mainly consists of shades of gray, ranging from a darker coal shade to a dusty ash. There is a swatch of color on his nose, a rusty, auburn red, and his eyes are a deep amethyst.
After his [M] capture by the Tears of Nín, Rohan carries with him a mark familiar to many Caledonians: an unsettling eye, carved into skin, stares, unblinking, on the right side of his chest. Because of his self-consciousness and newfound appreciation for clothes and baubles, he often covers this brand with tunics or cloaks. He is highly humanized, much like his mother, and wears his mane in all manner of braids. His ears are pierced irregularly and the jewelry is occasionally switched out for other studs or rings.
- Lupus: 32 in (81 cm) ↔ 75 lbs (34 kg)
- Sometimes used. He is average-sized and deviates little in build for what is expected of a full-blooded wolf.
- Secui: 43 in (109 cm) ↔ 145 lbs (66 kg)
- Rarely Used. Bigger-boned, heftier, and unrefined, though sometimes he prefers the carnal nature of his halfling state. His mane is long in this form.
- Optime: 6 ft 5 in (196 cm) ↔ 200 lbs (91 kg)
- Predominantly used. A natural pretty-boy, Rohan is lean but not skinny, toned but not muscular. He wears his hair long and often wears clothing.
(hover for credits, click for full size!)
Rohan is, above all else, a performer.
To many, the Heartsong is a typical young man with an easy-going, charming aura about him. Polite and well-mannered, he would never say an ill-word about any of his peers (at least not within earshot), and being under the strict tutelage of his mother has produced a very articulate and eloquent orator. He has a genuine love for song and performance, courtesy of his father, and fancies himself a musician when it benefits him.
Though his even-tempered personality is not necessarily an act, it is most certainly a coping mechanism of some sort, keeping a deep-seated sense of inner turmoil and emotional baggage under lock and key.
- Demeanor: Confident, charismatic, clueless, guarded
- Speech: Smooth and articulate, Rohan is expressive in his tone and pleasant to listen to. Musically, he is a countertenor and is widening his vocal range: see Einar Solberg for a voice reference.
- Rohan is familiar with certain words and phrases in the Old Caledonian language (Sindarin/Queyna bastardization).
- Scent: Pine, forest, earth, water, silt, river reeds
- Quirks, Gestures, Etc.: Running his hands through his hair, crossing his arms, messing with his earrings
- General Posture and Body Language: Stands tall with his shoulders back, head held high. He's clearly worked on his posture and outward presentation.
- Likes: Nature, reading, music, horses, his hair
- Dislikes: Being alone, being ignored, physical labor, unquestionable authority, religious fanaticism
- Very much pro-New Caledonia, indifferent about everyone else
- No notable biases regarding species but finds wolves inherently more personable/attractive
- Wary about highly religious, proselytizing folk and will air his discomfort or make himself scarce if faced with such
Motivations and Fears
Rohan, like any other youth his age, is eager to prove himself and wants to earn his stripes as a true, born-and-raised Caledonian. This doesn't mean his above cutting corners, though, but generally, he will try to err on the honorable side of things to reach his goals. He wants to be big and impressive like his parents and will probably fall flat on face thousands of times trying, but he'll pick himself back up and keep going.
Though he attempts to bury the memories from the Tear in the Tapestry far below the surface, the tainted memories from the war still weigh heavily on his heart, especially the horrifying branding he underwent at the hands of Silivren. Rohan constantly fears that his homelands are going to fall to invasion and wants to be prepared for such; he fears, chief amongst all, that those that follow vengeful gods like Nanin or Nín will try to convert the Realm; and, failing this, stage a coup.
Bisexual with a preference for women. He checks all the boxes for a hopeless romantic and is likely to be an attentive, if not occasionally overbearing, partner. Chivalrous as hell and kind of annoying about it. He might be a virgin forever because physical intimacy scares the hell out of him, so for all of his teenage machismo, he's secretly insecure and in need of someone that is either experienced or willing to learn with him.
Rohan's never tried anything but isn't opposed to the idea of doing so; however, he is likely to be a bit cautious about any mind-altering drugs and is afraid of losing control of himself, so he would likely restrict himself to alcohol and marijuana, if anything.
Distrustful of religion and the problems that it brings. With an atheistic mother and questioning father, faith was never a big emphasis in his household, but it was always something that lingered in the Realm on account of the Old Caledonian priests; additionally, he is familiar with the concept of the Myriad that belongs to the Songthorns. He may call upon them in times of need or stress, but it does not delve much deeper than this.
Rohan is particularly scornful of the River Goddess, Nín, and believes no good thing can come of Her or Her followers. Despite this, he, unwillingly, carries Her mark through his day-to-day life, but that doesn't mean he's really come to terms with it yet.
- Mother: Fennore
- Father: Bellad Songthorn
- Littermates: Atica Songthorn
- Aunts & Uncles: Eesold O'Hartigan, Ierian Songthorn
- Rohan is close to his parents, Fennore and Bellad. He is occasionally disillusioned by the way they navigate through the world, though generally trusts their judgement; however, regarding his stays with the Tears of Nín (both when he was lured and later captured), he is closed-off and grows upset when they push him about his experiences. There's much he can learn from both of them, but like all teenagers, he likes his personal space and hates to feel like they're coddling him, especially in light of what's happened.
- He's thick as thieves with his sister, Atica, who is certainly the more outgoing of the two. She is a bit more privy to his inner turmoil and he comes to her for advice free of judgement, as she is the only unmarred member of his family, still bright-eyed and untouched by the world at large. Rohan is envious of her natural affinity for combat and scouting.
- Farron Belgrave was a Salsolan he met while living at the Citadel, and the young pair fell head over heels for each other, bonding over their shared love of music and artistry. However, their star-crossed love was short-lived, as Farron immediately broke things off when Rohan urged her to run away with him and abandon her family's immense expectations behind. She became the subject of many a heart-broken ballad and song, and Rohan fully intended to never see her again — though he has recently discovered she has moved to Salsola proper and is little more than a stone's throw away, which deeply troubles him. He is unsure whether to resume his pursuit of her affection or leave her alone entirely, the latter of which seems her outspoken wish, though Farron has never been one for speaking with intention.
- Ingvildr Knight is a fellow Trader in the Company, and Rohan very much enjoys her company and perspective on life. He goes out of his way to run into Inga and assist the huntress with tasks when called upon. (He may or may not also have a small crush on her.)
- Though they are now physically out of his life, Rohan's young adulthood was ushered in by the likes of Silivren Garwaen and Éna Lanthir, who flip-flopped between nurturing and torturing him. The former gave him his brand, and he is glad that she is dead; the latter he is conflicted about, as Éna was a depressingly kind woman, one that tried to better his awful experience in the Tears' camp. His confusion is deepened by the fact that his mother, Fennore, was the one to kill Éna in the final battle for New Caledonia, making his feelings much more complicated. He finds that both of these women are often on his mind and influence him even in death.
- Positive Interactions: Dorian Savoy, Iverness de le Ulrich, Erskine Hanzi, Tansy Courtright
- Negative Interactions: Ark Coara
He and his sister, Atica, were born in New Caledonia to a pair of high-ranking members, Isiltári Fennore and Councilor Bellad Songthorn. Soon after conception, his parents hastily (and secretly) wed as to avoid their upcoming children from being bastards; and though their mother was, at first, far from thrilled at the prospect of having a litter, as soon as they entered the world, they were doted on and loved wholeheartedly by both parents. Rohan's upbringing was nondescript, despite the elevated position his parents' ranks afforded him, and he was quite dismayed when he was of age that he didn't shift as soon as his sister did.
When the Realm fell under enemy fire at the hands of the Tears of Nín, Rohan was kidnapped amidst siege fire and held captive at the enemy camp. He had encountered their leader, Ark Coara, and right-hand confidant, Silivren Garwaen, weeks prior, but never suspected they meant to do his Kingdom harm; under the influence of a [M] powerful psychedelic concoction, the young boy inadvertently revealed many secrets of his home to the Tears. Back in their possession, Rohan finally experienced his first shift, but this bittersweet moment was seen as a sign of good favor from the Nín by her zealous followers. Much like his mother before him, he was bound and branded by hot iron to mark him as blessed by the gods.
New Caledonia did receive aid in the form of Salsolan riders from the west, and the war was won, but not with sacrifice. Rohan managed to escape and return home, but it was clear that a piece of him was left behind.
He remained in the Realm proper for some months following the assault, but Rohan decided to follow Fennore to the Citadel, Caledonia's outpost in Portland, as she reorganized the ranks and strengthened their supply route and connections abroad. The young man, scarcely a year old now, learned much in his time there, finding the melting pot of cultures charming; but it would not be long before winter brought another conflict, one that his birth pack could not rise against this time.
Following New Caledonia's disbandment, Rohan has witnessed the slow deterioration of his mother, who had grown despondent and distant in the aftermath. Though reunited with his father, sister, and uncle, the Heartsong soon began to feel as if he had outgrown Portland and the dysfunctional dynamic of his nuclear family.
Petitioning the Isiltári with an opportunity to visit the ex-Caledonians that remained near their old packlands, Rohan couldn't get away from the Citadel fast enough.
5. Minor NPCs
- Sex: Gelding
- Species: Grade horse
- Date of Birth: 2015
- Key Features: Average size, feathered hooves, occasionally adorned with flowers and braids
- Coloration: Auburn coat, white nose and hooves, blonde mane and tail
Skills & Abilities:
He is proud and a bit capricious, though he has noticeably mellowed out as he's aged. Thalion excels in endurance over speed, and he is fairly comfortable around canines, taking to new riders easily after a period of initial reluctance. He is curious for a horse, often getting into situations that he shouldn't — luperci beware, he is known to give playful nips to those caught unawares!
Originally, Thalion belonged to a slave master in Rabenuhr
, though he was often taken care of by the then-slave Amon
— when his master was killed in a planned attack, Thalion escaped, and Amon was brought into New Caledonia
to heal. After some time, Amon and Fennore
located the horse and rehabilitated him together.
He became Fennore's equine companion, carrying her to and fro on many a diplomatic venture, and remained close with his handler Amon through the Realm's rise; although he did eventually relocate to the Citadel
with the Isiltári when she sought to reorganize the Caledonian outpost.
Following New Caledonia's dissolution, Fennore's son, Rohan, was unceremoniously transferred ownership of the horse, who had since been gelded to soothe his aggressive behaviors. He has accompanied the young man ever since, carrying him to the Shingetsu Trading Company
click for full image!
- Sex: Stallion
- Species: Grade horse
- Date of Birth: 2019
- Key Features: Large and sturdy, feathered hooves, resembles a shire horse
- Coloration: Dark brown coat, white nose and hooves, splotches of pink on his nose and lips
| OOC Assumptions
Shingetsu Trading Company members may assume...
- seeing him in the stable or pasture
- seeing him being ridden or exercised by his handler
- noticing he is rather standoffish
- that he is free to use for cart-pulling (just ask! ♥)
Patrons of Starhaven — please ask before making assumptions about this NPC.
Skills & Abilities:
Under the right handler, Titan is an easy ride; he is pull-trained and utilized primarily as a cart horse. He has little patience, however, for those that do not know how to direct him. Though his more fiery tendencies were somewhat tempered by his trainer, Amon
, Titan has little qualms making his displeasure known, and he requires a steady hand. He is only truly receptive to those that respect him.
A product of purposeful selective breeding, Titan was born to work; several generations of draught horse preceded him, and he was subsequently trained for cart-pulling and labor. He remained in the care of his breeder for some time working dutifully as a workhorse, though he was never the most pleasant creature to work with.
For this reason, he was transported to Portland
and put up for auction, where he was acquired by the Citadel's Ráquen, Amon
, for the purpose of facilitating trading caravans back to New Caledonia
proper. However, just shy of completing his retraining at Amon's hand, tragedy would strike and result in the Realm's disbandment. In the months that followed, Titan was not utilized to his full potential as the Citadel's trade route had all but grounded to a halt — when the Isiltári's son offered to spearhead the first supply run to the newly established Shingetsu Trading Company
, however, Titan's purpose was revitalized.
After many, many careful training sessions under Amon's dutiful eye, Rohan has only just managed to gain Titan's respect.