On this page... (hide)
This Fauna guide is intended to provide a comprehensive (but not complete) list of potential animals found within 'Souls playable territories -- as well as some animals that have made an appearance in-game before.
- Absolutely feel free to edit pages of a particular animal being used.
- You can copy/paste from Creative Commons sources such as Wikipedia, but other sources should be quoted and cited.
- Do not include information extraneous to 'Souls: for example, if Muskrats in South America are usually found with wings and two heads, that's nice, but it's a South American species rather than the sort typically found in 'Souls.
- Please only make pages for animals with some kind of use or appearance in the game. We don't want this to be an archive of every possible animal ever -- a list of native animals and non-native animals introduced to maritime Canada before 1988 (and able to survive without human intervention) is the aim here. Adding a random Southeast Asian rodent that has never and will never show up in the game is silly. :) Adding a well-known animal is great and we love you!
Even within the same subspecies, especially in creatures with a large natural range, vast differences may exist between invididuals. There are a few "rules" by early biologists describing the typical conformation of said animals:
- Bergmann's rule: Populations and species of larger size are found in colder environments, and species of smaller size are found in warmer regions.
- Gloger's rule: Examples of more heavily pigmented animals tend to be found in more humid environments, e.g. near the equator.
- Allen's rule: Animals from colder climates usually have shorter limbs (or appendages) than the equivalent animals from warmer climates.
So, for example -- a Peregrine Falcon from the northernmost extremes of its range would be larger, paler, and more drab in coloration, while the Peregrine Falcon from the southernmost extremes of its range would be smaller, darker, and more colorful. An example of the third rule can be found in wolf populations: Arctic Wolves tend to have smaller ears than their southerly counterparts such as Arabian Wolves.
The following creatures are often thought to be native to 'Souls, but their natural range does not overlap with 'Souls territories. They should not be freely referenced within the game and care should be taken when considering these as non-canine NPCs or as Creature characters. Please refer to the NPC section of the RP Guide for further guidance.
- American Badger
- Brown Bears (Grizzly Bears, Kodiak Bears, etc.)
- Golden Eagle