This character is a former pNPC of Krokar!
Ilse Verhoeven was a skillful young Dutchwoman with knowledge in blacksmithing and farming. After her family was wiped out in a raid, she was kept as the slave of Kazimir Drachev and was forced to travel with the Austringer Cartel and provide them with weapons by using her own traveling forge pulled by her trusty ox, Pim. She assisted Krokar twice during the Austringer Hostility and ultimately switched sides to help them win the final battle. After holding the rank of Flotsam for over 6 months, Ilse's reliability and helpfulness finally paid off and she was promoted to Greenhorn in the middle of October 2016.
Industrious and stalwart, Ilse remained a dedicated member of Krokar until the autumn of 2018, when she perished in the flames set by a group of loners.
- Date of Birth: 09 Oct 2013
- Date of Death: 25 Oct 2018
- Gender: Female
- Luperci: Ortus
- Species: Wolfdog
- Family: Verhoeven
- Birthplace: Drenthe, Netherlands
- Name Meaning:
- First Name: diminutive of Elizabeth (Dutch)
- Last Name: from the homestead (Dutch)
- Pronunciation: IL-seh, Ver-HOO-ven
- Pack: Krokar (25 Mar 2016)
- Residence: Fiskebyn
- Rank: Greenhorn (17 Oct 2016)
- Co-rank: Farmer
- NPC: Pim (ox)
- Species: Though Ilse is mostly dog she looks very wolfish, with thick fur and expressive eyes. However, her nose is longer and more tapered and her ears are taller. She has pointed, fluffy cheeks.
- Fur: Thick but not particularly long. Her coat protects her well from the elements, as well as the dangers from smithing.
- Optime Hair: Chin-length and parted to the side.
- Facial Features: Long and pointed with pale eyes.
- Build and Size: Ilse is tall and curvy, with a well-muscled upper body.
- Lupus: 77 lbs (34.9 kg) — 28 in (71.1 cm)
- Secui: 141 lbs (63.9 kg) — 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Optime: 185 lbs (83.9 kg) — 5ft 10in (70 in) (177.8 cm)
- Humanization: Moderate to high due to her skills in blacksmithing and farming.
Irish Coffee (#663E25)
Indian Khaki (#C4B298)
Gulf Stream (#8EB4BA)
Woody Brown (#372A2A)
- Primarily Leather (#947050) with darker shades of Irish Coffee (#663E25) covering the upper portions of her body.
- Sisal (#D9D1C6) marks her feet, muzzle, cheeks, eye spots, and undercarriage. This color darkens to Indian Khaki (#C4B298) on her legs and flanks.
- Optime Hair: Irish Coffee (#663E25)
- Eyes: Gulf Stream (#8EB4BA)
- Nose and Paw Pads: Woody Brown (#372A2A)
Ilse is a hardened woman who has difficulty trusting strangers and tends to keep everyone else at arms length. Industrious and focused, Ilse tends to withdraw into her work – be it smithing or farming – and, whether intentional or not, has few social interactions.
- Speech: Low, dark, and of few words.
- Scent: Krokar, metal, smoke, soil, cattle.
- Traits: Determined, hard-working, grounded.
Family Tree: Verhoeven
Lieke Verhoeven, Jorien Verhoeven, Lars Verhoeven
- Milos Parhelion: Milos is the Quartermaster of her pack. Despite her involvement with the Austringer Cartel, she and Milos have grown fairly close, thanks in part to their shared interest in livestock.
- Iroquois: Iroquois is one of the pack's Strikers. She helped Ilse clear some of Briar Patch for future farming.
- Elias Blueridge: Though he did nothing to help set her free, Elias was always the one who reliably showed her the most kindness and humanity during their time with the Austringers.
- Ailie Morgan: Ailie had shown Ilse a significant amount of kindness and patience, though they don't share an awful lot in common.
Kazimir Drachev: Ilse's former master. Drachev is responsible for the deaths of her family members. Her intense abhorrence toward him is such that it has carried on even after his death.
Marcella Fauks: Marcella largely ignored Ilse but when she did acknowledge her, it was always with a great deal of disdain and disgust. Ilse was fearful of the woman.
- Blacksmithing (Journeyman): Ilse learned blacksmithing under her father's tutelage before she was enslaved.
- Weaponry (Journeyman): Ilse's father also taught her quite a bit about making weapons.
- Farming (Apprentice): Just as she had learned blacksmithing from her father, Ilse learned farming from her mother.
- Rough: Because of the nature of her work, Ilse can be unintentionally rough and may have a difficult time being gentle with fragile things.
- Work-a-holic: Perhaps as a result of wanting to make up for her involvement with the Austringer Hostility, Ilse spends most of her time working and very little socializing.
Ilse was born in the Netherlands to a blacksmith father and a farmer mother alongside three siblings. They managed a small homestead, using oxen to plow the fields in which they grew a variety of fruits, vegetables, and feed for the animals. She took an immediate interest in her father's occupation and trained extensively under his supervision while still learning the basics of farming from her mother.
Having always wanted to travel, her family relocated to North America when she and her siblings were 7 months old. They brought as many of their livestock, seeds, and tools as they could and established a new farmstead in the Midwest, where they were able to make a decent living off of the land. Ilse's father built a small traveling forge and, using their oxen, was able to complete odd jobs around the territories outside their farm. As part of her apprenticeship, Ilse occasionally traveled with him and help him with his work.
When she was little over a year old, an injured wolf stumbled upon their farm. Her family took him in and allowed him to stay for as long as it took for his wounds to heal, finding out too late that he was an escaped slave and was being hunted down by former overseer Kazimir Drachev. Unyielding and ferocious, the beastly dog laid waste to their homestead and killed not only the wolf, but Ilse's entire family. Only her beauty and her skills saved her from the same fate, being instead forced into a life of servitude to the very man who had destroyed all the good she had ever known.
With only her ox, Pim, and her father's forge to ease the blow, Ilse became Drachev's personal slave and remained with him throughout his continued pursuit of those slaves that had escaped during the Barnes Rebellion. Later, he employed renowned mercenary Marcella Fauks to help him hunt down the masterminds of the rebellion. She unwillingly made weapons and tools for the Austringer Cartel and traveled north to Krokar, where the cartel attempted to take back the rebel who spearheaded the Barnes Rebellion.
Ilse surreptitiously assisted Krokar in retrieving fellow slave Peony and ultimately them win the final battle by fighting against the Austringer Cartel. She later joined the pack, where she intends to remain.
- tNPC Tracing back a friend, wouldn't that save you? (19 Mar)
Miramichi Watershed with Eliza Cormier, Aindrea Donovan, and Aphrodite Donovan. A group of Krokarans is sent to rescue Peony from the Austringer Cartel and Ilse surreptitiously helps to make their efforts successful. Instead of escaping with them, she stays behind as a captive with the hope that she can do more good for Krokar at a later time.
- tNPC Come hell or high water (25 Mar)
Miramichi Watershed with Ciara, Aphrodite Donovan, and Marcella Fauks. After Krokar takes the fight to the Austringer Cartel's camp in the dead of night, rendering their raptors useless, Ilse seizes the opportunity to further assist Krokar and ultimately fights with them rather than against them.
- pNPC I'll be there for you tonight (18 Jul)
Fiskebyn, with August Cormier. Kicking off Krokar's Celebration of Achievements event, Gus recruits Ilse to help him roll his barrels of pickled fish to Sister Lake where the rest of the pack has gathered.
- pNPC Halite (6 Sep)
Krokar, with August Cormier and Storm Cormier. Ilse helps Gus prepare fish for pickling when Storm joins them.
- pNPC At the end of the day you should smell like dirt (18 Sep)
Krokar, with Milos Parhelion and Iroquois. Milos and Iroquois help Ilse clear some of Briar Patch in preparation for next spring's growing season.
- pNPC Filling in the gaps (21 Sep)
Fiskebyn, with Lucille and Slave. At the Captains' cabin in Fiskebyn, Ilse assists Lucille and Slave with some map-making.
Back to Top of Archive