Valan of Aegas
Valan of Aegas
Please feel free to contact me to discuss any plots or threads you are interested in.
New Caledonians may assume and reference the following without discussion/asking:
On this page... (hide)
- 1. Personality
- 2. Appearance
- 3. Relationships
- 3.1 Family
- 3.2 Relationships
- 4. History
- 4.1 Thread Log
Valan of Aegas was a member of the Aegas clan of Old Caledonia. Abandoned as a child, he was found by Ivren Ondoher and adopted into his family.
Valan was a little less than a year old by the time of the war, and he lost most of his family and friends on the battlefield or to subsequent illness. For this reason, he was delayed in following the other Caledonian refugees out of the area and did not arrive at New Caledonia proper until sometime mid-2020. The Kingdom has been his home ever since.
Valan traveled with the first New Caledonian group to the new outpost (called The Citadel) in Portland, where he currently resides. He returned to the Kingdom proper in the winter of 2021-22 when the threat of violence came to its doorstep, culminating in the events of the A Tear In The Tapestry plot. He survived the siege on the King’s Bastion and the final battle (which, thanks to the help of their allies in Salsola and the bear Altuan, they emerged victorious), though he was severely wounded by Ark Coara and left to recover for the months thereafter. Valan eventually made his way back to the Citadel when peace was assured in the Kingdom (and for other reasons).
Valan of Aegas is a well built man with a reserved disposition. His abandonment at an early age cast a lifelong shadow over his temperament, giving him more reason than most to think before speaking. Despite a difficult start, he learned to value things like duty, honor, and loyalty under the guidance of a strong father, and less refined things from his more gregarious adopted brother. Before the war, he had always envisioned being a stonemason and living a simple and honest life.
At ease, Valan boasts a relaxed and dry type of wit, and his steady patience makes room for different types of personalities without judgment. Despite his hardships, he is not an insecure person and does not seek malign intent in others where there is none; for Valan, actions speak louder than words, and he doesn't concern himself with condemnation or seeking moral authority and control over others. He is a perfectionist only where work is involved, and easy going in all other areas of life.
His more negative personality traits are that he is prone to ruminating over his problems and becoming uncommunicative about it. While they may cast a sullen shade over his demeanor, Valan is equally prone to social decorum and will adjust his conduct according to what's polite; it is incredibly difficult to get him to open up about himself, his life, and especially his problems. Almost like talking to a stone wall.
- Demeanor: Reserved, warm, has a dry wit
- Speech: Deep with a thoughtful cadence. Has an accent.
- Scent: Earthen, stone, rock
- Outlook: Neutral
- Alignment: Lawful Good
- Likes: building things, fixing things, meadows, mountains, forests, being high up
- Dislikes: war, storms, the sea at night
Valan is notably more open and relaxed with Old Caledonians, even if they are of a different clan. He doesn't harbor most kinds of prejudices, but he is guarded around types who are pro-war and pro-violence.
Motivations & Fears
Valan is motivated by the desire to rebuild, both his life and his community. He wants to achieve a renewed sense of normalcy.
He fears another war, and in a twisted way, is afraid of settling down because of the chance his life might collapse again.
Valan is heterosexual. He doesn't often think about romance or companionship, but he is a lonely type of person.
Valan likes to drink, and he has a very high tolerance. He is open to trying smokes and other substances.
Valan was raised in the old Caledonian religion of the Mountain God Dúr. He isn't sure what to think about the religion now that most of his clan is wiped out. Valan carries around a token of Dúr given to him by his father Ivren, but other than this, does not carry on the traditions. He doesn't quite realize it yet but he became somewhat disillusioned with the higher powers when they failed to protect his entire clan and way of life.
Note: Listed skills are those that the character has some significant talent or interest in to be noteworthy. Skills that have been mastered (and are best expressed as such) are marked.
Main Focus: Craftsman
- Masonry (High Level of Experience)
- Smithing (Medium Level of Experience)
Auxiliary Skills & Hobbies
- Language and Literacy
Valan is a tall, muscled, and sturdy man, built like the mountains from which he hails. He has the patient gait befitting of someone of his height, and tends to be the last one to arrive anywhere because of it. He doesn't pay too much mind to his appearance and doesn't seem to realize he might be handsome. While Valan presents as mostly dog, his thick build and height seem owed to a distant crossover of perhaps wolf and deerhound bloodlines. His fur is double-coated but not warm enough to withstand a winter in the mountains without additional furs and leathers. Trimmed along the sides but otherwise left to its own devices, his hair is equal parts poofy and coarse. It most naturally takes on the shape of a faux-hawk mullet, which makes the most horrible combination of words I have ever written. Valan is relatively humanized, given that he prefers his two-legged form and will wear the furs and garment of his clan. He will shift to his four-legged form for hunting and sleeping. He has a deep scar on his back, and bite marks on his calves.
Accessories and Forms
- Lupus: 32 in (81 cm) ↔ 85 lbs (38 kg)
- Secui: 45 in (114 cm) ↔ 150 lbs (68 kg)
- Optime: 6 ft 6 in (198 cm) ↔ 250 lbs (113 kg)
- Green plaid sash (worn over/under shoulders, more often around waist)
- Dark grey trousers
- Black woolen cloak
- Metal pin
- Leather arm guards
- Thick leather gloves
- Belt and belt bags
Please note that Valan's color palette may be artistically exaggerated in his depictions.
Fur and Optime Hair
Black Bean (#1a1d1a)
Heavy Metal (#343734)
Pale Sky (#697883)
For the full gallery, click here. Hover for image credit!
- Mother: Unknown
- Father: Unknown
- Adopted Father: Ivren Ondoher
- Siblings: Unknown
- Adopted Siblings: Alastor Ondoher
- Mate: Clementine Salcedo
- Children: Miscarriaged Litter (2022)
Valan was abandoned as a child and adopted into the Ondoher family; as such, many of their members are indirectly related to him. Valan uses "of Aegas" rather than his father's surname; he was told that he must earn his place in the family by completing his training in masonry. When the war interrupted this plan, his chance at earning his family's name, along with his family, was lost.
- Valan's adopted father Ivren was a strong, honorable man. He was also traditionally minded and very focused on doing things the right way, even if it meant pain or hardship for himself or others. Although he took Valan in, clothed him, fed him, and gave him a bed to sleep in, he always made it very clear that Valan was not yet family and that he would need to prove his worth and earn his place. Valan did his best to meet his father's expectations. When Ivren fell in battle, he gave Valan his sword and his token of Dúr. Valan buried him next to Alastor.
- His older brother, Alastor, was his closest friend. He was a few years older than Valan and well within his training as a bladesmith. Gregarious, affectionate, and warm, Alastor's good attitude had a strong impact on Valan, who came to rely on his emotional strength and looked to him for guidance. While Ivren withheld certain information or traditions from Valan, Alasator always made an exception for his younger brother. He treated Valan like a true brother and always protected him if they ever got into trouble. During the war, Alastor fell in battle doing just that. Valan has a hard time forgiving himself for this.
- Elemmacil was Valan's peer and a friend of the family. He often spent time with Valan and his older brother, and they began their masonry apprenticeship together. They had a slightly rivalrous friendship, even vying for the approval of Silmë together, but Valan would give anything to have Elemmacil back again. He recovered Elemmacil's body and buried him with the rest of his family.
- Silmë was his brother's lover. Valan was a frequent third wheel, but they (for the most part) kept things PG around him and often included him in their activities. Valan was fond of Silmë, even harboring a puppy-crush on her until the war. She became extremely violent and embittered after Alastor was killed. Valan suspects that she threw herself into the final battle with the intent to die. Valan recovered her body and buried her next to his brother.
- Valan first met Clementine Salcedo in a rowdy, crowded Portland bar. Introduced as Antiope Scali, Valan later learned that this was a false name when fate would have them cross paths again in New Caledonia. While he was initially upset, he did not forget that in the middle of a cold winter, she managed to bring some warmth into his life by coaxing him to dance. They're married now, albeit secretly.