2020 — The Twentieth Year
On this page... (hide)
The early winter of 2020 kicked off with a wicked blizzard that lasted for nearly three days, though this was only the beginning of occurrences that would strike 'Souls. The first of two earthquakes struck in February, rattling Nova Scotia and dealing severe damage in the northeast. The dislodged snow and thaw brought with it rising waters and a strange spring, where tall, alien flowers sprouted around the coastline. Coincidentally, a trio of loners came to do some trading around this time. These Plague Doctors brought news of an oncoming disease with them, and traded many of their tinctures and supposed-cures to locals before departing.
A second and far more powerful earthquake shook the land in the summer, leading to even further destruction, especially in the ruins of human cities. The most dramatic change occurs when, months later, Death Mountain sank into the ocean. News of this spread by word of mouth as displaced loners abandoned the area.
In the late fall, a group of travelers arrive by sea in Mersey Cove. They begin to set up camp and construct a dock to better moor their ship, all the while seeking information about the area – local residents, flora, and fauna all seem to be of interest.
- [M] 2 January: Salsola holds a trial to determine the fate of their prisoners. The loners -- Kaimkillen, Tenet March, Parva Larue, Priory Larue, and Morrow Larue -- are brought before the pack to face justice. Before any sentence can be named, however, chaos erupts. A desperate Tenet drags his sister over the edge of a cliff and to their deaths while the accused witch, Priory, is bound to a pyre and burnt alive. In a rare act of mercy, Morrow and Kaimkillen's lives are spared. The coyote is named a slave, while the puppy is taken in by the Boss, Elphaba Revlis, as her newest ward.
- 10 January: The Blizzard begins was a freezing rain sets in during the early morning hours, transitioning to snow after sundown.
- 13 January: After several days of intense weather, the blizzard finally breaks.
- 6 February: A a 5.9 magnitude earthquake strikes northeastern Nova Scotia.
- 31 March: The Plague Doctors set up a temporary camp in Fort Cumberland.
- 1 April: Mysterious, sunflower-like flowers appear in the rocky crevices of cliffsides and along the chilly, windy shores where the sand meets the grass. Here and there, a few specimen can be found in coastal meadows and lightly forested areas.
- 1 April: Two of the traveling herbalists, Capricorn Ziskid? and Dalibor Boscko?, meet with members of New Caledonia: Iomair, Kalypso Savoy, and Toraberā Tanaka. They discuss the coming plague and do some trading.
- 10 May: A 7.8 magnitude major earthquake erupts midday. The epicenter, Primeval Memories, is ripped asunder when a fault forms.
- 31 August: The last of the strange flowers stop blooming, and go dormant once more.
- 1 September: Death Mountain begins to slide into the Atlantic Ocean. It will disappear completely over the next few days.
- 11 April: Nelli Silva, among the loners abandoning the Eastern Realms, takes a wrong turn and ends up a little too close to Salsola's border. She is questioned by Lace Valentine and Idrieus Eternity while O'Riley Eternity observes. Luckily for Nelli, she is quick to leave once she realizes her mistake.