Maephis Valekoi is one of four children born to Calla Valentine and Till Van Ulrich Lykoi, alongside two of her siblings, Kalani and Naum. Maephis grew up a rather curious and inquisitive child, doted on by her mother at first until her mother saw talents in her sister, Kalani, that Maephis didn't seem to possess. Born out of wedlock and having left Salsola, Calla had settled down in a small village or gathering of canines on the outskirts of a coastal city in Spain. Initially superstitious, the town kept Calla outside their reach until a sickness rolled through the small town and she was needed to help care for those who took ill. Her daughters studied underneath her, learning some knowledge of medicine and herbal remedies while her son became a hunter and protector for the village itself. While they were too young to really take on the more carnal bits of their mother's lessons, they were taught from a young age to act and interact with others. Maephis learned the art of deception and disillusionment while her sister took on a more healthy light, learning to interact in large crowds and to be diplomatic at best.
When Maephis was almost of shifting age, Calla ordered her to return to the mainland. After securing a place on one of the ships as a medic's assistant, Maephis joined the crew and it was while she was in the crew's membership that she changed for the first time on the ocean. Retaining most of the knowledge and lessons taught to her by Calla and the ship's medic. She remained with some of the travelers from the ship, eventually making her way from Barbados to Portland where she secured help from another family that was traveling to Nova Scotia. When she made it, she sought to make herself useful and has been collecting herbs and trinkets in order to pay off the debt that had been secured under her name by her mother and from her travels themselves.
- Date of Birth: 15 January 2020
- Gender: Female
- Luperci: Ortus
- Species: Coyote Hybrid (Coyote, Wolf, Dog)
- Family: Lykoi, Kimaris, Silevue, Sadira, and Damaichu
- Birthplace: Mid-Atlantic Ocean (Spain if by land)
- Maephis: Godly Child
- Valekoi: Portmanteau of Lykoi and Valentine. Valentine is pseudo-French and Lykoi means Wolf
New Caledonia members may assume and reference the following with discussion/asking:
- Seeing Maephis collecting or trading for herbs.
- Occasionally spotting Maephis helping someone who is injured.
- Either being involved or watching Maephis conduct a spiritual ceremony
- General conversations. Specific conversations, especially those that may later affect RP, should be PMd before occurring.
- Maephis has an unhealthy admiration of her brother, Julius through her mother's stories, despite never meeting him. She will spend a lot of her time telling others about her brother who she believes is basically a spiteful, but awesome, god.
- Maephis has several potential plots that may coincide with Salsola members. Family members include several prominent characters such as Calla Valentine, Till Van Ulrich Lykoi, Helena Troy Lykoi, Julius Valentine, and Brocade Valentine
- Maephis is unhealthily jealous and envious of others and if someone steps on her toes, she is very likely going to strike back in some underhanded, unhealthy manner which could lead to potential bad guy plots if you need someone for those purposes.
- Maephis will be interested in subterfuge and probably develop an affinity for killing after something drastic happens during her developmental period.
- Species: Maephis takes after her mother in both size and stature with an overwhelmingly coyote-ish appearance. She has a long, angled snout with a small nose and large radar like ears. Her stature is relatively unimposing and probably far from threatening.
- Fur: Maephis is will be very vane and narcissistic when it comes to her fur or mane, with the exception of letting her siblings play with it. She has a prominent thickness to her fur that comes from her dog and wolf blood so it is mostly lush and feels nice to the touch but it is also shorter than the typical wolf or dog for that matter which ties into her coyote blood.
- Optime Hair: Maephis' hair is long and curly, mostly her base coat color with one or two long curls of her lighter coat's coloration. It is sometimes pinned up with a clip of wood or in a bun with a long, sharp stick.
- Facial Features: Large, radar like ears, angular face with smaller nose and large doe-like eyes. She has a slender, refined muzzle that tapers at an angle.
- Build and Size: She is taller than the standard coyote but smaller than the typical wolf-dog or hybrid. Unlike her mother, she is not as tall and will probably not bulk out as much as other women from the Silevue family line. She is relatively slouchy and doesn't stand up straight so it could probably be assumed that her natural height is unknown.
- Humanization: Very humanized
Lineart by Nat
Swiss Coffee (#DAD6D5)
Eyes, Skin, Leathers
Heavy Metal (#272928)
San Marino (#3D5FA9)
- Weight: 60 lbs (38.55 kg)
- Height: 30 in (81.28 cm)
- Tall like her mother but shorter and less bulkier than her father.
- Bigger than the standard coyote but with the lope and gait of one.
- Weight: 150 lbs (77.1 kg)
- Height: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Nearly double the weight and far larger than her lupus, she mostly looks the part of a halfling to the core, often choosing to keep her claws unsheathed for steadier footing since the difference between the two forms are so defined.
- Mainly used for hunting or feral fighting, though she dislikes using this form on a regular basis.
- Weight: 280 lbs (83.92 kg)
- Height: 6ft 5in (69 in) (175.26 cm)
- She takes solely after her mother in size and height, taller than most women but shorter than a lot of men. She is lithe with a dancer's physique.
- She is primarily found in optime form since she has lived a life with mostly humanized canines thus far. This
Maephis is a lot like her mother when it comes to her personality. Vindictive, jealous, envious of those who have more, she is prone to violence and violent outbursts because of her anger. While she is quick to hide such things from others, it bleeds into her work and her every day life. She can be obsessive and compulsive but only to an extent. She has a brother complex and probably always will. She is into the mystical, often picking up on old habits her mother had, minus poppy milk and anything to do with herbs and stuff that can effect the mind. She is, and will always be, something of a sociopath. On the outside, though, she appears more shy than anything at first, often looking sad or disposed. As a healer, she can be a bit forthright and snappy if someone disobeys her orders or doesn't sit still while she is trying to work. She will snap and scold someone faster than the click of her teeth. Regardless, she can seem friendly at times but most of the time, it comes with an ulterior motive.
- Likes: Horses, bees, rain, Julius, flirting, and mud
- Dislikes: Disloyalty, women, rudeness, someone getting more than she does, narcissists
Spiteful, Vengeful, Curious, Spiritual, Sociopath, Liar, Vain, Diligent, Ambitious
- Outlook: Pessimistic
- Expression: Introverted and Dominant
- Alignment: ChaoticEvil
- Being taken advantage of
- Loss of family
- Meeting and 'worshiping' her brother, Julius
- Ambition - Rising through the ranks of whatever pack she is put in.
- The exploration of spiritual pursuits.
- There is no name for the religion in which Maephis pursues. First and foremost, she sort of worships her brother though she's never met him in real life, only heard stories of him from her mother. She also believes in the Norse Pantheon and has explored that spirituality with her mother, watching her mother conduct spiritual rituals. She has an odd fascination with death and ghosts which is likely to develop into another of her unhealthy obsessions.
- Species: She does not trust dog species, though makes an attempt to at least be civil
- Non-Luperci: Not to be trusted as far as you could throw them. They're weak and 'animals'.
- Gender: --
- Sexuality: She was told of her mother's relationship and while she does believe she is worthy of a hetero relationship with her brother (Odd, yes), she is most likely to prefer the company of women.
- Age: Old people and puppies should be protected at all costs.
- She is very attracted to other women but believes that all women should at least have children once in their life to procure the continuance of their bloodline. She would only really sleep with one man, though may, indeed, change her mind later on.
- Maephis has no interest in substances that would perverse one's mind, due to Calla's addiction. She likes to be in control of herself and her environment and anything that hampers her ability to do such is evil that must be avoided at all costs.
- Speech: Maephis seems like the type to be soft spoken but she knows from experience and from her mother's lessons to be louder so that she can be heard. Her voice, at types, can seem silky smooth, like molasses with sweet words. Other times, they're soft spoken as intended, dribbling with snakes venom (just a metaphor).
- Scent: Flowery oils, blood, smoke, grass.
- Quirks, Gestures, Etc.: She is very humanized thanks to her mother. Moderate hand gestures. Prefers light touches.
- General Posture and Body Language: Very straight, trained posture. Never slouching or relaxed, especially in private company.
- Three dresses of luperci made cloth. Initially wore nothing leading to the arrival of her ship.
- A leather leg ring, worn beneath her dress, usually out of sight.
- A bracelet of woven, braided plant fiber made by her mother.
3.1 Key Relations
- Calla Valentine is Maephis' mother and originally, Maephis thought the world of her. After her sister took the spotlight, it became apparent that Calla no longer cared for her as deeply and she was pushed to the back shelf as if she didn't exist. While her mother obviously still kept her in the loop for lessons and for public appearance, her relationship soured with her mother which is what led to her being sent to Nova Scotia.
- [[Characters/Till Van Ulrich Lykoi is her father. She doesn't know much about the man, other than the fact that her mother spoke nothing but praise of him as both a spiritualist/witch and as a father. She knows that he has his demons but she believes that she can come to love him as the father he is, even though she's never met him.
- Naum Valentine is her brother. She has known him since birth and cares for him dearly but not nearly as much as Julius. He was her protector, often stepping in to help her when she was bullied by the other pups of the village and by Kalani herself. She'll miss him, if he intends to stay in Spain.
- Kalani Lykoi is her sister. She has inspired such a jealousy and envious nature in Maephis that Maephis no longer cares for her and would rather see her dead or disgraced in the eye of her mother. She wishes that she could feel anything other than what she does toward her sibling but knows that'll never be the case.
- Friendly: --
- Unfriendly: --
Key: Dabbler --> Apprentice --> Journeyman --> Master
Main Focus: Healing and Apothecary
Education and Experience - Maephis spent a lot of time learning from her mother about herbs and medicinal practices that Calla had picked up while in Salsola. While she didn't get the hands on practice she needed to fully dabble in the skill, she did put most of it to memory and has developed both an interest and practical desire to explore it further which she did as a medic's assistant on the ship she traveled on in order to get back to the mainland from Portugal. She has furthered said knowledge by helping to heal small injuries like scrapes, cuts, and minor burns for trade since reaching Nova Scotia.
Education and Experience - Like mentioned before, most of her knowledge comes from her mother and practice as a medic's assistant while on her journey to Nova Scotia. She came with a base knowledge of continental common herbs and things her mother traded for in Spain and has started developing an understanding and practical knowledge of herbs and plants in Nova Scotia and even some more of the rare herbs brought by traders.
Education and Experience - Not all herbs are safe and she is beginning to understand that some can be downright nasty. Despite that, she's taken an interest in even the poisonous plant life in Nova Scotia and has started to collect some. Despite being poisonous to some degree, there are plants that have pieces not poisonous to others so it's better to know which ones are bad and which ones are not.
Auxiliary Skills and Hobbies
Education and Experience - Despite being young, her mother presented her with the base knowledge and understanding that she needs to lie in order to get what she wants. While she was with Calla, she learned several degrees of deception that could be used while out in the real world and not at home. Her mother aided her with skills that involved hiding her true intentions, with getting boys to like her (Despite her not being interested in men), and in hiding truths that could get her in trouble. Especially with her anger. While she still has a way to go, she is a decent liar and skilled in the art of deception.
- Spirituality (Journeyman):
Education and Experience - Maephis has always been spiritual and was taught from an early age about the Norse Pantheon as well as to create her own Gods and to live by them. While she is not quite adept at knowledge involving other gods from her own, she has created something of a small religion around her brother and is practiced in how to hold rituals and offer sacrifices after watching her mother do so, both during tattooing, scarification, and in regular rituals that might include hexes, blessings, and other key rituals.
- Knife Fighting (Combat) (Dabbler):
Education and Experience - Maephis is only really dabbling in the practice of knife fighting, her only real weapon other than her claws and her teeth. She is presently in the beginning stages of learning who she is as a fighter and whether or not the knife is the best weapon for her. Regardless, she spent some time on the deck of a ship with a few different sailors who helped her learn some of the basics of fighting with a knife, blending in the fighting with her hands and teeth. She is not quite adept at it but will be in the future if she keeps up with it.