Goliath Harland was a coydog from Zion. He was born and raised within Scintilla, a highly militaristic, religious group.
Bullied throughout his life, even a growth spurt did not dissuade such harassment. His size and "mixed" blood was a point of contention for many within Scintilla, who often sided with their coyote children instead of the big, deep-voiced Goliath. Eventually, it became easier for Goliath to avoid confrontation in general -- his passive nature encourged some of the harassment to stop, but not all of it. Despite resentment and a deep malcontent with the persecution he was facing, Goliath did his best to pull his weight (and then some).
This all changed when his younger cousin Ichabod confessed that he was planning to leave Scintilla instead of go to his presumable death. Choosing to take this as a sign, Goliath went AWOL and fled north. He and Ichabod arrived at Inferni just in time for the Inferni-Salsola War.
Goliath served in battle and protection of borders and clanmates until an injury sustained in the Battle of Drifter Bay put him out of commission as a fighter. He took this as a sign to settle down -- hoping to do so with Briarblack, a girl he grew close to throughout the war. However, when the D'Neville Mansion was burned to the ground, Goliath succumbed to smoke inhalation and died in Briar's arms.
- Date of Birth: 01 February 2014
- Gender: Male
- Luperci: Ortus
- Pack: Inferni
- Rank: Bellum
- Pronunciation: gə-LIE-əth
- Goliath: uncovered
- Harland: hare land
- Family: Harland
- Birthplace: Zion
- Species: Coydog
Jason (buckskin stallion)
- Species: Coydog
- Fur: Shorter and somewhat coarser than a true coyote.
- Optime Hair: Up to player
- Facial Features: "Blockier" than narrow, smaller ears.
- Build and Size: Goliath is oversized for a coyote and broader than average.
- Scars & Etc:
- Jowl: Remnants of old bite mark
- Right Leg: Several overlapping scars of various age.
- Left Ear: Missing several pieces.
- Tail: Goliath's tail was previously broken in multiple places -- he has no control of its tip, and this tends to flop around.
- Right Hip: Slash from a sword, previously infected.
- Speech: Deep and quiet, with a distinct southern Utah accent; he speaks soothingly as a habit.
- Scent: Bluejoint grass, coyote, dirt, horses
- Quirks, Gestures, Etc.: Goliath knows his tail is distracting to people, and he tries not to wag it in front of others (though he also fails at this when he's overly excited about something).
- General Posture and Body Language: Passive; Goliath is a gentle giant, though he will posture up if he needs to. He's very good at "amping up".
60 lbs (27 kg) ↔ 28 in (71 cm)
150 lbs (68 kg) ↔ 40 in (101.6 cm)
225 lbs (102 kg) ↔ 6ft 8in (80 in) (203 cm)
Yellow Metal (#716338)
Brown Tumbleweed (#37290E)
Bully Hunter ▼ I Just Want To Be Normal ▼ All Of The Other Reindeer
- Outlook: Realist
- Expression: Subdued
- Sociability: Works at staying in the background, but enjoys socializing.
- Alignment: Lawful Good
- "Considers the needs of the community in personal life."
- "Believes everyone should be treated fairly and kindly."
- "Feels guilt when he commits a wrongdoing and will seek to right his wrong."
- "Will take actions to aid others during times of crisis, even if unprofitable to do so."
- Fitting in
- Spreading the Word
- Doing good
- Starting a family
- Unjust persecution
- Wolves and wolf-heavy hybrids are met with terrible suspicion, and often violence.
- He considers Salsolans evil due to their role in the war.
- Goliath was brought up in an area which imposed strict religious and moral values upon him, and this is reflected in his sexuality. He has been taught restraint and that sex should only be performed after a man and a woman are mated. He would equally perform as a leader instead of a partner in this matter, and would look for a subservient wife.
- Follows an Abrahamic monotheistic religion based on Pentecostalism.
- Special emphasis on a direct personal experience of God through the baptism with the Holy Spirit.
- Belief in an overall powerful evil (The Devil) and his lesser influence (demons) in the world.
3.1 Family: Harland
- Mother: Cynthia Harland
- Father: Grant Harland
- Same Litter: Mariah
- Younger Litter: Susannah, Jacob
- Goliath is related to Ichabod Bertram on his father's side -- his father is a Bertram by birth.
4. Skills and Inventory
- Education and Learning: Goliath has been fighting since he was a puppy, and actively trained and served after reaching adulthood in Scintilla.
- Feral (Journeyman)
- Hand-To-Hand (Journeyman)
- Armed Combat (Journeyman)
- Goliath may be big compared to other coyotes, but his size doesn't hinder his speed. He's fast and has good endurance. Though able to hold himself back, Goliath and knows exactly what his real strength is and isn't afraid to use it.
- Education and Learning: When his peers rejected him, Goliath found comfort in other living creatures. He worked with Scintilla's livestock and horses, and was apprenticing under one of their horse-trainers when he left home.
- Horseback Riding (Journeyman)
- Horse Care (Journeyman)
- Horse Training (Apprentice)
- Livestock Care (Journeyman)
- Goliath is very good with horses and other easily spooked animals. He always seems to maintain a calm air about him.
- It is possible Goliath may want to learn Low Speech -- he would likely do this with horses or whatever sort of bird he eventually pairs up with.
Previous Packs and Ranks
| Scintilla, Zion
|(1 February 2014 - 31 August 2016)
| Puppy, Grunt
Goliath and his sister were born out of a somewhat-arraigned marriage between their mother and a reluctant suitor from a neighboring family. Despite this, his parents did their best to raise their children and find their place in the community. This was easier for Goliath's petite, beautiful sister than it was for him. The rumors as to his mother's own “mixed” blood carried onto her son, who grew a little larger than the other children. This drove an early divide between Goliath and his family, who never defended him in public.
Though he dutifully performed during his training, Goliath spent much of his free time assisting at Scintilla's stables. He did a lot of dirty, hard work with little reward or praise. His placement as a lowly Grunt only further reinforced the ideas everyone else had about him – that Goliath was slow, or stupid, or just different enough to deserve such a thing. Though frustrated with his perception, Goliath instead channeled his anger into work. Eventually, he became a formal apprentice at the stables...though this was met with vocal criticism. Enduring the negativity as best he could, Goliath struggled to maintain a “good” life. He did everything he was asked and fought in several conflicts, earning a number of scars but still no acknowledgment for his contributions.
Things changed when his younger cousin Ichabod came looking for help in leaving Scintilla. Goliath took this as the sign he was looking for and went AWOL with his cousin, abandoning his home and traveling north.
- What's an Arrow to a Bullet? (August)
Goliath comes across Buttercup Damaichu in New Brunswick.
- Hath thou clothed his neck with thunder? (August)
Goliath studies the Drifter Bay horse herds when Magpie Trouillefou comes across him.
- Whose arrows are sharp, and all their bows bent (August)
Lithia Napier offers Goliath and Ichabod some unsolicited advice.
- They devour hostile nations and break their bones in pieces (August)
Greeted by Versace Inferni, Goliath and Ichabod join the coyote clan.
- Do you give the horse its strength? (August)
Sinech Dalisani introduces Goliath to Inferni's horses. Salvador Sadira stops to chat.
- polished and accomplished that i hold in my sleeve (August)
Goliath assists Nazario del Bosque in enticing a peacock.
- I need not one thing more (September)
Goliath and Faith de le Poer discuss religion.
- something with an eye but left without a head (September)
Goliath and Briarblack meet and are quickly charmed by one another.
- cedar stone (September)
As tension crackles through the clan, Goliath spars with Briarblack.
- Hopefully Home (October)
Goliath greets Oriana Cavallo when she comes to join Inferni.
- It paws fiercely, rejoicing in its strength (October)
Goliath runs young warhorse Ares through training exercises. Eire Lykoi watches.
- [M] to end all this infatuation with unity (October)
Goliath and Ichabod come across Salsolans Duncan de le Poer and Vesta seeking information. The exchange does not go well.
- [M] making a science out of coincidence (October)
When an Infernian is killed, Goliath, Ichabod, and others pursue the culprit but are led into an ambush.
- [M] you better keep the wolf back from the door (October)
Inferni launches a full-scale assault onto Salsola, but their enemy is waiting for them. Goliath loses his horse and sustains a hip wound in battle.
- [M] Their roaring shall be like a lion (October)
Goliath searches for Briarblack, who was left on the battlefield and attacked. He comforts her and brings her home.
- curl of comfort and wilting (November)
Goliath and Briarblack share a quiet moment.
- [M] field and fountain, moor and mountain (November)
When Salsolans set fire to D'Neville Mansion, Goliath fights to save the clan's horses trapped in the burning garage.
- by the fire and smoke and sulfur coming out of their mouths (November)
Goliath escapes the mansion, but he succumbs to smoke inhalation and dies in Briarblack's arms.
Back to Top of Archive