Born in crowded Beirut, the daughter of a merchant and a former thief, Faizel Malik Kartal was raised aloof and vigilant. Granted some wealth, if not status, she functioned as a hunter and guardian-escort for her community -- while dealing with a rather tumultuous family dynamic.
Her father Levent Kartal's various infidelities and predilections caught up with him eventually: first in the arrival of Faizel's young half-brother, Benjamin, and later in an awkward chance meeting with a wealthy merchant on the Athens trading route. These transgressions, as well as general family-related stress, led Faizel to seek a less densely populated home.
On advice from her father, accompanied by her siblings, Faizel departed for North America in winter of 2015, before the storm season, and enjoyed the east-to-west trade winds and warmer waters near the equator. They reached New Brunswick in March 2016 and sought shelter in Sapient in April after the meteor impact. They stayed throughout the spring and most of the summer, until a falling out between Faizel and Benjamin led the Beiruti Kartals to depart.
Also, she totally has a boy's name.
- Species: Faizel has many features of lean, small desert wolves; she looks Iranian or Arabian almost completely. Her jackal blood is barely visible but for her ears, muzzle, and long torso.
- Fur: Her fur is short but a little thicker than most desert wolves'; she requires clothes in winter.
- Optime Hair: Pale, wavy, falls to about shoulder length.
- Facial Features: Sharp-angled features, with a slim muzzle and large ears.
- Build and Size:
- Lupus: (~26 in) Faizel is small for a wolf, with a lean, long-legged body. Her paws are large, the middle toes slightly fused. Her long back slopes like a wolf's.
- Secui: (~40 in) Her Secui form is long and lean-muscled, powerful and made for hunting. Her fangs protrude from her lips.
- Optime: (~6ft 2in) She is proportioned "long," with a very flat chest. She looks like a lean, cross-country runner.
- Humanization: Yes -- she'll go clothed in Optime, if simply; her gear is always practical, suitable for work or winter.
Metallic Copper (#672D1F)
Red Robin (#863221)
Brown Rust (#B76542)
Grain Brown (#E0CEB4)
Nose, Skin, Paw Pads
Cocoa Bean (#3F1E18)
- Speech: Quiet, steady voice; accented. Fluent in Arabic and Turkish as well as English.
- Scent: Kartal, brackish water, marsh, wood and must, earth, fresh kills, rivers.
- Quirks, Gestures, Etc.: Almost always has something in her mouth: twig, bone, etc. -- especially if nervous/thoughtful.
- General Posture and Body Language: Adheres strongly to dominance or submission cues; rather feral, aloof. Stands at attention, alert.
- Leather "contraption" with buckles, chains; meant to be able to change as one shifts
- Dark pants torn off at knees
- Big, baggy sweatshirt; a little short on the torso and arms, but meant for a heavyset human
- If something needs doing it, she is gonna DO IT and she's gonna DO IT HER WAY. Insists on being in the middle of things, doesn't take orders well, believes she is the best at what she does. Stems from control issues/protectiveness/butting heads w/ past comrades over "the right way to do things."
- Courteous, but stand-offish; distrusting but honest. Faizel doesn't LIKE people on first meeting (or second, third, etc.) but she plays well with others (if they aren't bossing her/intruding on her turf) for appearance's sake.
- Calculating, doesn't take risks. She is methodical with her duties and good at them as a result. She is serious in contrast with Ben especially and tends to play "parent" to him, cleaning up after his messes.
- Strong nurturing streak, would kill and die for her family/loved ones -- also overlooks their flaws. However, she isn't usually openly affectionate with any of them.
- Likes: Hunting, physical training, open land, wildcats, warmth
- Dislikes: Wetness, thick forests, nonsense
- Outlook: Realistic, controls her future
- Sociability: Introverted
- Expression: Dominant, stoic, self-assured
- Alignment: Lawful Neutral
- Family: Her driving force. Faizel acts as the guardian and caretaker for her siblings and devotes her time to keeping them safe and providing for them where she can.
- Being unable to keep her family safe
- Species: Prejudiced against jackals (and likely coyotes) due to tensions in Beirut; basically, she'd cross the street if she saw one walking toward her.
- Non-Luperci: Sees the Luperci virus as a gift and a source of fascination; Faizel is likely to "experiment" on any non-Luperci she comes across.
- Sexuality: Faizel is not prejudiced against homosexual individuals, but she is used to them being discreet and makes a vain effort to hide her brother's predilections. She heavily disdains promiscuity.
- Faizel is not likely to be openly affectionate with her love interest. She would likely treat them like her other family members -- taking charge and protecting them.
- Abstains from intoxicants.
- Faizel has seen alcohol destroy her father's judgment and heard stories of his constantly falling off the wagon. She generally thinks lesser of those who are dependent on intoxicants.
Faizel was raised in a community that practiced an Islamic faith (with many liberties) and believes in a singular god, called Allah or Tanrı. She is not necessarily devout, and would be considered lax among such people, but she practices some of its tenets.
- Benjamin Kartal: Her illegitimate brother who has picked up many of their father's vices. Faizel loves her brother despite these faults, the only one of her siblings to truly accept him -- though she tries to keep him out of trouble.
- Khairan Kartal: Her no-nonsense brother. Khairan is protective of Faizel, though she usually puts him in his place when he becomes overbearing. She loves him immensely but always defends Ben from him.
- Levent Kartal: Her merchant father -- the cause of many of the family's problems. Faizel adores her father though she was embarrassed by his transgressions; she tried to support him but knew that taking his advice and leaving was their best bet.
- Naila Kartal: Her serious-minded sister. Faizel and Naila have a silent bond, having traveled together for trade many times before, but they are not openly affectionate.
- Daniyah bint Khairan: Her thief mother. Faizel and Daniyah had a great relationship, Dani showing Faizel most of her tricks and encouraging her strength.
- Djinni: A caracal that Faizel hand-raised. Though Faizel doesn't show excessive affection to the cat, they have something like a mother-daughter relationship; Faizel does openly consider her family.
3.2 Pack Relations
- Nivosus Moineau: Sapient's leader -- whose tendency toward drink reminds Faizel of her father's struggles, and not in a good way. Faizel clings to the hope that Niv is a leader for a good reason.
- Vedetta Auditore: A fellow hunter and introvert, Vedetta is pretty well liked by Faizel! She sees him as a potential friend, if they can establish trust.
- Itō Miwa: Faizel is leery of Miwa -- who is part jackal and who got "snippy" with Faizel during their first tense meeting.
4. Skills and Inventory
- Education and Learning: Faizel served as a hunter and guardian-escort in the hunting parties that set out from crowded Beirut for nearly two years -- and has experience traveling, fighting off wild animals and brigands, and bringing down prey alone and in a group. She also received some tutoring in swordsplay before she left Beirut.
- Hunting (Journeyman): Faizel is an adept hunter on four legs; she understands the nuances of most of the prey she hunts, and is extremely enduring. She excels in coordinated hunts over long distances, as well as taking a dive at medium or small prey alone.
- Combat (Journeyman): Faizel is a calculating but physical fighter, relying on close quarters combat in all her forms. She strives to intimidate and disable her foes and end fights before they escalate.
- Secui Combat (Journeyman): She tends to fight on four legs, using her hunting knowledge to aim for vitals -- usually on canines in similar forms.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Journeyman): Faizel uses her hands, arms, and body in as many ways as she can -- clawing, grabbing and pulling, punching, sometimes supplemented with knuckle-weapons.
- Short Swords (Apprentice): She received some tutoring in short, curved swords.
- Faizel hunts best over long distances, wearing her prey down rather than striking fast when hunting larger prey; she is weaker when it comes to hunting in thick brush or killing quickly.
- She has issues fighting canines in mismatched forms (e.g., she is in Lupus and they are in Optime), mostly due to lack of experience and training in combat situations like these.
- Faizel has no practical experience in sword-fighting.
- Her most apparent weakness is distance fighting, as she has no way to ward off arrows, other blades, etc.; she will use armor to supplement her defense, however.
- Due to her morals, Faizel does not aim to kill her opponents; she would likely hesitate before killing another, leaving her open to attack.
- Education and Learning: Faizel learned most of these skills from her parents, either under their tutelage or from observation.
- Language (Journeyman): Faizel shows evidence of being a polyglot like her father, having a talent for picking up on new languages; she is fluent in English, Turkish, and Arabic, with very limited proficiency in other Eurasian languages (a scarce handful of words, mostly curses).
- Low Speech (Apprentice): She has some proficiency in some Low Speech dialects; she is most fluent in feline, but she can mimic sounds of other animals as well. Given familiarity with a herd for long enough, she can understand their dialects as well.
- Reading & Writing(Apprentice): She can read Arabic script and Latin alphabet, as well as write in the former.
- Felines (Journeyman): Like her father, Faizel is good with cats; she has been around small cats for much of her life. Additionally, she has helped her father raise wildcats -- successfully and unsuccessfully. Her current companion was hand-reared.
- Crafting: (Apprentice): Faizel has helped her mother and sister in their crafting projects, and therefore knows the basics of carving and shaping bone and horn into weaponry and other shapes.
- Low Speech does not lend itself well to consistent understanding; she must relearn most dialects when encountering herds in new places, though her quickness of picking up language helps somewhat with this.
- Her reading comprehension is fairly weak; she is a slow reader, especially in English, and tends to only read short messages rather than long prose.
- She has inherited her father's terrible handwriting.
- Faizel would have no idea what to do with a larger feline, such as a cougar; she might be able to handle lynxes or bobcats. However, she can only handle felines that have been raised by or around Luperci; her talent doesn't make her a magical cat-whisperer.
- She is only an apprentice crafter, and is often blind to the flaws in her own work.
Faizel was not a tradeswoman in Beirut, but her sister was -- and she spent considerable time among traders. She is a fair trader with a keen eye for items she's familiar with, but not confident enough in her ability to haggle very much. She generally deals in items related to her personal pursuits rather than for her pack.
- Offering: Bone, horn, stone weapons and figures (apprentice-quality), raw animal products, exotic wares (from personal stock)
- Accepting: what do they want?
history overview here
- Western Prayers
Faizel chats with Khairan Kartal in the family's temporary camp.
- [M] When I Met Trouble She Danced Round the Table
Faizel tracks down her wayward brother Benjamin and finds him at a brothel.
- You Can Leave the Hourglass at Home 'Cause You'll Have No Need for Sand
Benjamin manages to learn about Sapient from Miwa, though she and Faizel seem to dislike each other.
- A Sweet Symbiosis of Cause and Convenience
Benjamin flirts with Cillian Brádaigh, much to Faizel's chagrin.
- If You're Looking for Hell, Just Try Looking Inside
Faizel and Djinni are served tea by the mysterious Laevisa Arena.
- A Poor Man's Jokes Ain't Half So Funny
Leonardo Auditore's hawk harasses Benjamin's
- Torched the Woods to Kill One Rabbit
Chaos envelops the Kartal camp when the meteor falls.
- A Trail of Ash and Burned down Memories
Shaamah comes across Faizel and Benjamin seeking shelter.
- You Turned a Wrench That Fixed the Earth
Faizel discusses joining Sapient with her family.
- A Safety Net of Silver Hair
Faizel seeks out the Sagax, Nivosus Moineau, to ask to join. He accepts her family but leaves a bad first impression on Faizel.
- 'Cause Every Day There's a New Display of Cannons Come Loose
Faizel hunts deer with the Tierney Brádaigh.
- With the Lizards and the Frogs but I Was Happy All the Time
- Every Building Tells a Story, Every Builder Holds a Pen
Vedetta Auditore helps Faizel do some spring cleaning; they hit it off.
- Lost and Found
Faizel and Djinni help Aka Kambry find her lost bobcat cub.
- With Stripes and Spotted Feathers, a Storm of Sunny Weather
Naila and Blair Eternity talk trade on the way to Midnight Shores.
- Adam's Apple Fix a Nickel to Pass the Time
Faizel, Benjamin, and Hammish Silverstein work on a horse corral.
- Round 'Em Up
Faizel, Benjamin, Skana Creo, Leonardo Auditore, and their birds scout out and capture a Wildwood horse.
- And After All This Time, My Time Has Come
Faizel helps Skana Creo and Sybil Moineau capture a Wildwood horse.
- I'll Keep on Making Those New Mistakes
Faizel scouts out the Wildwood horses with Miwa.
- Unbridled Loyal
While wandering Midnight Shores, Faizel comes across a tiger.
- Whole Heap of Little Horses
Faizel and Vedetta capture a horse together.
- Mi Permetta Guarirò
Vedetta tends to a wound Faizel received from a wild stallion.
- This Is Gospel for the Vagabonds and Never-Do-Wells
Cillian Brádaigh shows Faizel how one of his snares works.
- If You're Empty on the Weekend
Faizel struggles to arrange tables and chairs for the feast in Midnight Shores.
- The Journey's End
Bryan Zachary Fletcher joins Sapient; Faizel takes a liking to his bobcat.
- Purr More, Hiss Less
Faizel takes a pair of orphaned kittens off Kin Collins' hands.
- I Remember on the Days of the Forest and the Fray
IN PROGRESS. w/ Izrian Firebringer.
Back to Top of Archive