Benjamin Wilson Kartal was born to Levent Kartal and a whore in Amsterdam, and raised in Beirut among his half-siblings, close to his father's side -- and so picked up a lot of his vices.
Sheltered by his half-sister Faizel in the crowded, guarded community, Benjamin made use of his family's wealth and played off their rather tumultuous dynamic. However, Levent's various infidelities and predilections caught up with him, and the spread of rumors through their densely populated home led the legitimate Kartal children to leave. Much to their chagrin, Benjamin followed them to North America.
They reached New Brunswick in March 2016 and sought shelter in Sapient in April after the meteor impact. They stayed throughout the spring and most of the summer, until a falling out between Faizel and Ben -- revolving around the discovery of their half-sister, Atalanta -- led a distraught Benjamin to flee his family. When he lost his nerve and tried to come back, he discovered that they had left Sapient, and so he resigned himself to the life of a loner. He spent some time in Portland, serving as a translator for a wealthy foreign merchant -- but later got into trouble and had to flee the man's wrath.
- Species: Benjamin, at a glance, looks like a Common Gray Wolf but for his doggish, yellow-tawny coloration. His movement and some of his features also hint at hybrid blood.
- Fur: Long and thick, plush texture -- though often rumpled.
- Optime Hair: Thick, tousled, jaw-length.
- Facial Features: Handsome and almost domestic, with a long muzzle and somewhat large, high-placed ears.
- Build and Size:
- Lupus: (~24 in) Benjamin is a runt. He's oddly small and looks rather thin and underfed, with elegantly long legs and dainty paws.
- Secui: (~36 in) Long-limbed, spidery, tangled mane.
- Optime: (~5ft 5in) Ben is skinny and slouchy in Optime, with long limbs ending in small hands and feet.
- Humanization: High -- wears clothing and has humanized (if bad) posture.
Barley Corn (#988257)
Regent St Blue (#9DD1E7)
Nose, Skin, Paw Pads
- Speech: Benjamin has a very unusual accent -- often the first thing one notices. It has traces of Turkish and Arabic but also, oddly, Dutch and British. His speech is rather animated, though garbled when he gets flustered.
- Scent: Kartal, marsh, wood and must, earth, metal, marijuana, alcohol, cats.
- Quirks, Gestures, Etc.: Ben talks with his hands and is prone to large gestures, often practically flailing his arms and smacking those in the vicinity when passionate about an argument.
- General Posture and Body Language: Benjamin has horribly slouchy posture.
- White, tight-fitting button-down shirt, usually open
- Pants torn off at the knee to fit
- Various accessories, often wears scarves and cloths -- sometimes wrapped around his hair like daddy
Hedonistic, unfaithful, sloppy, lazy, affectionate, animal-lover, cheerful
- Likes: Cats, birds, affection, drugs, booze, sex, jokes, cold weather
- Outlook: Idealistic
- Sociability: Extroverted, friendly, confident
- Expression: Submissive, affectionate
- Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
- Hedonism: Benjamin pursues pleasures in life and believes everyone should be free to; he doesn't understand why others look down on intoxicants or sex if no one's getting hurt. He does take consequences into account -- to an extent. Most of the time it's an excuse to be lazy.
- Family: Benji craves affection and approval from his family, though his laziness and "sins" often mess this up. He wants Khairan and Naila to like him, and really wants to make Faizel proud of him and is worried he'll ruin a good thing.
- Species: Zero bias, but seems to like animals more than other canines.
- Non-Luperci: Sees the Luperci virus as a gift, but doesn't hate non-Luperci on principle. Ben would be pushy if still friendly about offering it.
- Promiscuous and affection-hungry, but desires an emotional connection with his sexual partners; he would not try to bed someone he doesn't have chemistry with.
- Benji is flighty and doesn't seem to settle with one partner for long -- however, he tries to make it clear to his partner(s) from the get-go that what he wants is casual. That doesn't mean there haven't been hurt feelings in the past, though!
- He likes the weed.
- Sees nothing wrong with intoxicants and indulges when he wants.
- Agnostic theist
- Benjamin is open-minded to the idea of a god or gods, but he believes the truth is unknowable. He might be spiritualistic to an extent, though he does not want to be restrained by religious dogma. That said -- he doesn't mock anyone, including his siblings, for theist beliefs unless they're actively antagonizing him.
3.2 Key Relations
- Faizel Kartal is Benjamin's half-sister, who doted on him despite her family's views and loved him unconditionally, defending him from the others. They eventually had a falling out, Ben's worst fear come true; he feels like he disappointed her again and again, and proved the rest of their family right. He misses her fiercely and tries to be a better man in case they meet again.
- Levent Kartal is Benjamin's father -- the man whom he inherited many of his vices from. Benji's adoration of Levent led him to pick up many of his bad habits, and he never understood why his siblings resented him. Grown up, he has become more self-aware of their unfortunate similarities and realized his father wasn't the best person ever.
4. Skills and Inventory
- Language: A polyglot like much of his family, Benjamin is fluent in English, Turkish, and Arabic with an odd, misplaced accent in each language. He speaks some Dutch and French, and knows a few phrases in other European languages.
- Low Speech: Very adept at feline low speech, with a solid foundation in the dialects of birds of prey (especially owls).
- Reading & Writing: Able to read and write in all his fluent languages, though his handwriting is atrocious.
- Animal Handling: Benji is wonderful with all manner of domestic felines (and some wild). He understands the basics of horse care (e.g., feeding, hoof cleaning, grooming, exercise) as well as the care of raptors.
- Social Skills: Friendly, nonthreatening, witty, talkative -- Benjamin tends to put others at ease, and uses this to secure friendships, talk up trade goods, and lie his way out of danger.