Areas Page Editors: please follow the Guidelines, whether you are editing an in-game area or World Territory.
On this page... (hide)
- 1. Description
- 2. Culture
- 2.1 Species
- 3. Significance
- 4. More Reference
|Date of Founding||~1988|
|Primary Species||Wolves, jackals|
Istanbul is a rather small Luperci population, located on the Black Sea and the Agean Sea. Despite its isolated location and lack of land trading routes, it is a popular place for those sailing the Mediterranean to end up, and some Asiatic jackals and wolves have begun to immigrate to this area from the more westerly areas of Asia.
Prior to the destruction of humanity, Istanbul had something akin to sprawling slums -- poorly constructed or illegal housing sprawled outward from the relatively small city center. Much of this fell quickly to the ravages of nature following the demise of humanity and was quickly replaced with wilderness, animal life repopulating the wilderness with the same speed. Other parts of the city fared better than the slums, but as always, many parts of Istanbul have fallen to ruin. Luperci have managed to maintain some areas, though residents of this area are more likely to live outside of the city limits.
Istanbul is a major religious and trading hub that bridges Eurasian and African Luperci and their goods. Wealthy heads of merchant families live in reclaimed houses with armed guards; animals, spices, furs, and all sorts of luxuries flow to and fro through souks and bazaars. Though alcohol, drugs and other illicit goods and services are banned in the city, there are city-owned, heavily-taxed "pleasure houses" where such laws don't apply. In addition to this, inns and entertainment venues exist, and there are religious shrines and buildings for beliefs of every kind (though most are Abrahamic, with an even split between Christianity, Judaism and Islam).
Istanbul also has a thriving slave trade and market. Unlike some of the more southern cities, Istanbul is open and honest that Luperci and other canines are bought and sold like cattle. There are even places dedicated to the training of servants and slaves, and Istanbul encourages slavers to send their "bad product" to the city for improving and educating.
Istanbul has a rather mixed population that manages to co-exist in relative ease; Syrian jackals, Golden Jackals, and Iranian wolves make up the majority of the population here. Their comfort and lack of tension as with many other places may stem from their lifestyle, which is decidedly easier than that of many other Luperci in some other cities. The trade from Mediterranean sailors keeps Istanbul in a comfortable state, accompanied with its rather decent prey resources -- canines do not generally go hungry in Istanbul.
- Athens is on very friendly terms with Istanbul, and has strong trade links with the city.
- Baghdad has trade links with Istanbul thanks to the River Tigris.
- Istanbul is part of an important trade route spanning Berlin, Bucharest, Budapest, and Warsaw. Bucharest's slavers are trying to break into Istanbul's markets.
- The twin cities of Derinkuyu and Kaymakli rely heavily on Istanbul for distribution of their slaves.
- Gè Tàiyáng de Háizi is a Turko-Chinese settlement not far from Istanbul.
- Edrei Iri is a jackal-dog hybrid from Istanbul.
- Levent Kartal and his cat Wilson, Gjalda, Fatin Nejem, and Asad Sadik are from Istanbul!
- Ronit once lived in an Istanbul-based pack.
- Zakiel Sarkis lived in and had a lover in Istanbul.
- Asad Sadik, an NPC of the former Ichika no Ho-en pack, was born in Istanbul.