'Souls Wiki Guidelines
Table of Contents (hide)
- Do not make heavy edits to other players' pages without permission! This includes character / NPC pages. This applies even if you wrote the information in the first place.
- If you find something that's broken, inaccurate, or otherwise outdated -- update it! The Wiki is meant to be edited by all members. All contributions are appreciated.
- If you can edit something you shouldn't have access to, please let the 'SA know ASAP. Don't abuse anything! D8
- When editing, please attach your Players page name in the Author field.
- Do not use fanciness, colors, extremely convoluted formatting, etc. A wiki should be easily read and edited. Unnecessary formatting makes both of these things difficult.
- Adhere to the guidelines of each section.
- Use templates where applicable. It's okay to modify things, but your page should not be radically different from other similar pages.
- Adding relevant images is awesome! Imgur is a great host. Make sure your images are Creative Commons or otherwise non-Copyrighted.
- You may make minor changes to main pages (e.g., the Areas page -- fixing a typo, adding a new territory, etc.). If you want to make major changes (e.g., formatting or page layout changes) ask first.
If you royally screw up and break something, it's okay! The great thing about Wikis is that edits can always be rolled back -- click the History tab, and Restore your last edit. Ask, and someone will certainly explain to you what went wrong!
Each IC year has its own page. There is a current month page, which can be updated by the players throughout the month. At the end of the month, these compiled edits can be shoved into the relevant year (or, the especially lazy editor can simply add a new header on the current page for the following month -- someone will clean up after you, no worries :P) for cleanliness and ease of updating.
- Keep dates in chronological order. If a thread has been forward or backdated, make sure it appears in proper order in the timeline.
- The header of each section should be the date, and lists/bullet points should be used for each individual event on that day.
- Each event on should be written in paragraph form with a link.
- Link the character's name at least the first time the name appears on a page.
- Great things to add: births; deaths; plots that affect more than three or four characters; interesting, funny, or unusual threads (adding your own is fine, but make sure you're not noting the inane -- e.g., a regular meet and greet has no place here). Board-wide plots and pack plots, duh!
- Major plots are listed separately on their own pages, although major events from said plots may be repeated on the monthly or yearly pages.
- For Characters that are current and active, it would probably be best to ask before editing! Tread carefully on other people's characters.
- For older characters, especially those whose players are no longer around, please, please contribute!
- Use a template or make up your own, but try to keep it structured and organized!
- Characters are in alphabetical order by their surname, unless they don't have one, in which case they're listed just alphabetically.
- TIP: Remember to tag your character with relevant categories! There are family, pack, birthdate, and many other categories.
- Pack information is pretty important, so it's good to keep it updated! Some packs offer incentives for members who choose to update their pack information on the Wiki -- double check with your pack information if you're not sure!
- Feel free to make edits to the pack's history and other relevant information. If your pack's website says something different from the pack's Wiki, it's usually safe to assume the website's information is correct.
- Don't edit anything you know you shouldn't -- pack colors, acronyms, etc. should be left alone unless there has been a change.
- Leaders can freely make "subpages" for their packs -- e.g., Salsola History or Inferni Animals.
- Members are not permitted to add new territories of their own creation to the 'Souls playable game area. Clean-up of the landmarks and flora/fauna sections can be done, but the description of the 'Souls territories themselves should be left alone unless you're fixing discrepancies between the Wiki and the official territory descriptions in the forums (assume the forum is the updated version).
- Landmarks can be added, but use your better judgement, please. A huge city is not an acceptable landmark. A small storefront is.
- Likely encounters mark different NPC characters that may be encountered in areas of 'Souls, as well as active characters -- note that these lists may be pruned of inactive or non-essential NPCs after some time has passed.
- Flora and Fauna can be edited, but make sure you adhere to the Flora guide on the Wiki.
Add Your Own!
- Anyone can add a world area to the Wiki.
- When creating a character, adhere to the Classifications. If an area is closed you may not create a character from that area.
- Adhere to the Travel Guide when considering travel from one place to the next. It's not realistic for your Luperci to be in Siberia one week and South Africa the next!
- Please make sure you are realistic in your territory creations -- see the MemberGuides section for more information regarding realism. Realistic includes sizing, culture, population, etc. It's not realistic for 5,000 Luperci to live in one suburban block, for example. ;)
- Open indicates anyone may create characters originating from the area, or have their character stay in the area for some time.
- Request indicates players must request permission to create a character originating from the area or spent a sizable period of time in the area, but they may play a character that passed through the area or their character has heard of the area.
- Closed indicates anything relative to the exact area is by request of the creator only. Players can't claim an entire country-sized area as their own, of course. Note: Areas added by anyone other than the original creator -- e.g., I'm adding the Berowick area, which was created by Xani -- default to closed.
Editing Player-Created Areas
- Major changes to an area owned by another player (EVEN an Open area) -- e.g., a massive fire, slaughter of the population, or other sweeping changes to culture, values, or system -- are extremely disrespectful. :( If you'd like to play a character with a destroyed family/homeland/territory, create your own place and destroy it, please!
- If an area is primarily controlled by one Player, ask before you update -- this especially applies to Closed and Request areas.
Editing European Cities
- All the major European cities are completely open for use -- feel free to create a character originating from one of these big cities! They do not belong to a particular player.
- The listed European cities are the only "populous cities" (e.g., a population of a few hundred) of Luperci in the world. Players are absolutely free to create smaller villages, towns, etc., but in order to keep the game from becoming overpopulated with vast Luperci cities, there's already a set number of population-significant cities.
- If another player has already started to establish information for a particular European City, it's courteous to build on that information.
- For Families that are predominantly controlled by one Player, ask before you edit. For Families that are very large and widespread, more collaboration will likely be required. Please contribute!
- Each family should be separated into generations. The First Generation should be the generation that the first (relevant) barer of the family name was born into. "Relevant" means that the character was played at 'Souls. For example, even though Kaena Lykoi probably wasn't the first in her family to have the surname Lykoi, she was the first to have been played at 'Souls, and thus she would be included within the First Generation on the Lykoi family page.
- Litters within a generation should be listed in the order they were born.
- Each litter should be listed with the mother first so that it reads Mother x Father. The parent that contributes the family blood should be bolded.
- If an entire litter is unnamed and stillborn, we prefer for the puppies to be listed as
Unnamed x 3. If the puppies have names or some significance, they can be listed.
- Multi-father litters are split into two litters. ♥ (formatting: [--%gray%♥%%--]) indicates a litter with multiple fathers and the same mother.
- Δ (formatting: '''%color=#55931D%Δ%%''') indicates an open character that is presently up for adoption. You can also check the Open Characters category!
- When you make your character's page, if they are a member of a family (or families), make sure you link to that family's page!
- You can also use family-based Wiki Categories!
- When adding characters onto a family page, make sure you include the "Characters/." Thus, to link Gabriel de le Poer, you should type "Characters/Gabriel de le Poer" into your link rather than just "Gabriel de le Poer."
- The NPCs section is intended to house characters who are not generally intended for play. If you're creating an adoptable, you're in the wrong section: that's a Character instead of an NPC. Examples of things that should go in this category include your character's horse, their cNPC mother who will never be played, off-board characters, etc.
- If you do change your mind about an NPC and want to see them played, you can just redirect page in this section to the Characters section -- no worries.
- Use a template or make up your own, but try to keep it structured and organized!
- NPCs are grouped by their current owner or attachment, if applicable. Characters should be ordered alphabetically.
- Please keep off other players' pages unless they have designated a Guestbook section or when otherwise appropriate.
- Feel free to create a page for a player who hasn't yet made one. If you create a page, simply include a list of their active characters -- don't add anything else; remember the first rule! o:
- Feel free to update a players' list of characters -- adding a new character, moving an active to inactive, etc.
Please note: the templates are bases for you to use and do not need to be used verbatim. Modify them as you like; just remember: the Wiki is meant to facilitate easy reading and easy editing. Remember the Wiki Guidelines!
Major Page Templates
As per 'Souls mature content guidelines, all mature material must be marked. In addition, images exceeding PG-13 content (such as nudity or gore) must not be embedded - only linked. Please see our Mature Content Guidelines for more information about what constitutes mature material. When working on the Wiki, you obviously must use the Wiki's markup. c: Please use the following tag to mark your mature content!
MATURE MATERIAL WARNING!
The wiki is divided into groups: Souls, History, Families, etc. Pages are named by groups followed by a forward slash followed by the page name. For example, Dahlia de Mai's link is: [[Packs/Dahlia de Mai]] . And likewise, a character's page is Characters/Character Name. Linking to a page in a different group requires the Group name and then the page name: Group/Page.
However, if you are linking to a page in the same group, you do not need to specify the group name. For example, if you are editing your character's page and want to link to their mother, you only need to link to the other character's name, and not Characters/Mother. For example:
My character is the son of [[Big Daddy]] and [[Mama Bear]]. They live in [[Packs/Dahlia de Mai]], but were previously [[Packs/Loners]]. My character was born in [[Areas/Halcyon Mountain]] on July 27, 2008.
The Wiki allows for shortened links -- use these wherever possible!
phpBB Board (Current)
Note: These will also work with "NSouls" in front of them -- e.g., "NSoulsProfile" is the same as "Profile."
IPB Archive Board
Feel free to add a page to a category. This can be accomplished by enclosing a word or phrase in double square brackets, preceded by an exclamation mark. Eg: [[!Inferni]] Other examples might include dates of birth and death, families, packs, deceased characters, open characters, and so on. To use these, place them at a bottom of the page.
[[!Inferni]] [[!2006 Births]] [[!2009 Deaths]] [[!Sadira]] [[!Open Characters]]
Stub articles are articles that need work. If you know anything about someone or something listed in the stubs category, please add it! Add any "skeletal" pages you create to the stubs category.
See the Wiki FAQ.
Remember, this is a wiki, so typical wiki ideals are allowed. Please create pages for past characters, especially ones that were quite prevalent in 'Souls history. Providing threads for references is awesome, too. For characters you did not play, list the information you know that can be verified, or dig through the archives at the old Bleeding Souls forum. Make a references header and put a character's profile link on their wiki page so things can be verified!