Forum Profile Guide
Table of Contents (hide)
- 1. Before You Start...
- 2. What IC Fields Should You Fill Out?
- 3. What OOC Information Should You Fill Out?
- 4. BB Coding Basics
- 5. Special Profile BBCodes
- 6. Notes
What constitutes a good profile, anyway? Before you worry about the way your profile looks, you should worry about the information contained within it. You should make sure that certain fields are filled out and you should make sure the information contained within those fields is accurate as well as easy to read.
Why? Well, because other players will browse your profile to get a feel for your character when roleplaying with you. Having a great profile is a good way to make it easier for others to roleplay with you -- clearly stating your character's appearance gives others something to describe in their own posts; describing your character's personality can add emphasis to your character's speech and interactions with others; and finally, fixing up your profile and getting everything in order can also inspire you to roleplay when your muse grows quiet.
- Appearance, biography, and personality are the bare minimum for joining via character profile. Helpful but not required are gender, age, and Luperci status.
- Consider keeping your forum profile browsing and scanning friendly; extremely long histories or extended lists of threads would be much better suited to the 'Souls Wiki or the forum.
- See also: Appearance @ RP Guide.
Your character's appearance is arguably the most important part of your profile -- expect to devote a good amount of time to filling out this section. If your character is a Luperci, you'll want to include information about all three of their forms and note the form in which they usually appear.
Some people find it helpful to write detailed descriptions for each form; others find it more useful to write a single base description and simply note the differences from one form to the next. You may find it helpful to separate Lupus, Secui, and Optime beneath separate headers.
- See also: History @ RP Guide.
It might help you to write out your character's history in a simple list format first, and later expand upon those bullet points. While expanding, think about how your character reacted to a certain situation, and why they reacted that way.
It's also important to make certain your character history is realistic. If they're traveling from Russia, for example, it doesn't make sense for them to have left their homeland last week and they're now joining 'Souls -- remember travel times.
- See also: Personality @ RP Guide.
Once you've done that, you should also fill in their personality. Think of a few words to describe their traits -- extroverted or introverted, emotional or logical, analytical or imaginative, dominant or submissive? How do they react to certain situations -- newcomer at the borders, a stranger with bad attitude in the neutral territories, a lost puppy? Do they have a strong sense of right and wrong, or does their morality shift to accomodate the situation and their best interest? What motivates them, and what frightens them? What do they enjoy and what do they dislike? Although this is a lot to think about, considering these aspects can help you fully flesh out your character. It's helpful to make sure that aspects of their personality mesh well with their biography -- thus, try to think of a plausible reason why a character acts a certain way.
- Make sure you select which gender your character is. While it should be obvious from pronoun use, it doesn't hurt to be perfectly clear!
- Your character's age is also important -- remember to note the aging chart and use actual years to describe your character's age. Luperci can't live 77 years -- when they are 12 actual years old (e.g., born in 1998 and this is the year 2010), they are the equivalent age of 77, much like a dog. Similarly, their date of birth is also important -- remember, 'Souls is set in the present day. A two year old character was born two years ago (e.g., it is 2010 and your character was born in 2008).
- It's important to state whether your character is a Luperci or not. You can also describe them as an Ortus, a Luperci from birth, or a Verto, a wolf born non-Luperci who later became one. It's not absolutely necessary to differentiate whether your character is Ortus or Verto.
You may notice there are some things that haven't been covered yet -- these are things you don't have to worry about if you're just joining 'Souls.
- The Catacombs -- This is a reward icon system that players can play. Work toward particular achievements for your character.
- Relations -- Although it may be helpful for you to think about your character's family, you don't have to have this figured out when you first join.
- Post Log -- This is where you can keep a simple list of the threads your character is in. This can help you to keep track of them.
- Detailed Profile -- You can link to a detailed profile somewhere else -- either in the Post and Graphic Logs forum or on your own private website. Note that it is very helpful to include a link to your character's Wiki Profile, if they have one!
- Other Characters -- If you have other characters, this is where you can link to their profile.
The good news -- you don't have to fill out anything on this section of your profile. ;3 Totally optional!
- Your OOC name is displayed above your character's name, and it can be helpful if you don't want people referring to you by your character's name!
- It's very helpful to note which character account you prefer to receive PMs on in your OOC information if you have multiple characters and you don't often login to your auxiliary character accounts. Private messaging is the standard of contact on 'Souls, and your pack leaders will usually try to contact you via PM.
- If you have messengers and you're open to random contact from 'Soulsters, fill out your IM handle information and state that you're open to contact. AIM users may find it helpful to hang out in the 'Souls Chat to meet other players.
- If you have Open Characters or Open Threads that could use attention, say so!
Profiles accept all bbCode that is accepted in regular posts. Profiles do not accept HTML. You can find a BBCode guide on the Forum Guide.
[dimensions]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8[/dimensions]
This bracket takes eight numbers separated by spaces and displays them in a size table. Your numbers should be in this order: Optime height, Optime weight, Secui height, Secui weight, Secui length, Lupus height, Lupus weight, Lupus length.
- Is your profile mature material? Make sure to mark it with bbCode templates!